2001 road star question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

2001 road star question

i recently purchased a used road star with 35k mi. absolutley love the bike...... but i recently have noticed a rattle coming from what sounds to be under the igniton switch area. it sounds like metal to metal and does it at certain low rpms......like around 35mph or if you lug the motor in a higher gear. sounds almost like a heat shield under the tank or something. any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:18 PM

My noise was the extra keys on my key chain, they would rock back and forth and hit the frame.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

not keys...........only 1 key on a rubber key chain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 AM

I have a 2000 and just fixed a rattle up front as well. Mine was the windshield mounting bracket as it sat bolted to the frame just under the headlight. Over the years, the stainless wind deflectors were hitting my crash bar in tight turns and whenever the handle bars were turned to the max. The constant pressure broke a mount and the two pieces rattled constantly. 15 mins to take off and a few dollars at my local welder and hopefully this will not break again. Don't forget to seal the weld against rust before reassembling.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

mine did not come with a factory windshield but the dealer did install a mephis shades windshield on my bike before purchase. i will give it a look.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:01 PM

I have a 2000 Road Star Ultra and I found two of the most common rattles that will drive you crazy. The one you may have is the headlight bucket. I have to take mine apart and lube the springs with grease about twice a year. Also wrap the outside if the outer lip on bucket with tape. Black tape or duck tape. Just enough so you can't see it when you put the outer rim back on. The other is the back bolt that holds the gas tank in the rear. I put a rubber washers between the mounts and frame on both sides. Install long bolt and tighten down. Hope that helps, Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode