Any fixes to leaking gas from carb? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Any fixes to leaking gas from carb?

Hello,

I have a '99 R* 1600. I came across a post "07 carb fuel leak" which detailed gas leaking from the carb into the air box.

I too have been experiencing this issue and am wondering if there have been any updates in other threads for a fix.

My problem also seems to be heat related, as it only seems to leak (noticeably) when its hot. Its was only about 85 today though. Today I heard the gas sizzle when it hit the hot motor. Not cool. In addition, this occurred today directly after filling up. Rode about four miles, then about two minutes of idle, before shutoff.

I have had several other occasions when there was a strong smell of gas after shut down regardless of how much fuel is in the tank. I can see on the right side of the motor where gas has obviously pooled and evaporated.

Only one time did I get a puddle of gas on the ground and that was after a few hundred miles of riding. didn't give it much time sitting at fill ups so only noticed it after getting off and stretching.

Thanks,

Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:16 PM

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but in my experience there can only be three reasons why a carb leaks petrol; the gaskets are leaking, the float height is wrong or the float needle is worn. Have you checked these things? Also have you checked that the fuel line to the carb is secure?

Whatever it is you need to cure it before you have to post about your new bike due to the old one burning to a sad end.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:02 PM

It is a commonly known issue for Road Stars. I strongly suggest you do a Google search for the Road Star Clinic Forums. You will find several different options there for dealing with this problem. Some as simple as wrapping the fuel lines in heat shield that you can get any high-performance type store.

That's what I was going to try, but in the process my fuel pump went out. I am now pumpless and have never had the issue again. It turns out removing the fuel pump is one of the cures for carb puke lol!

Sent from my LG Motion

~~~
2000 Road Star Silverado 1600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I know all the fuel lines are secure. I have not taken the carb apart to check the float...yet.

Wrapping a little heat tape around them could be an easy fix. I'll give that a go to see if it helps. I will also check the other forum for other solutions.

'99 Roadstar 1600
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTwoWheels View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I know all the fuel lines are secure. I have not taken the carb apart to check the float...yet.

Wrapping a little heat tape around them could be an easy fix. I'll give that a go to see if it helps. I will also check the other forum for other solutions.
Taking the carb apart should be your last option. Again, this is a known issue, as you'll see on the Road Star Clinic.

Sent from my LG Motion

~~~
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 06:30 PM

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

All you need to get is a needle valve set and a float bowl gasket. Number one part I sell daily. Damn ethonal
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 PM

If you have an issue with a motorcycle dripping gas on a hot engine, you have a potential fire hazard. Perhaps you should go to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml and file a complaint.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maR1k View Post

All you need to get is a needle valve set and a float bowl gasket. Number one part I sell daily. Damn ethonal
Carb Puke on the Road Star is coming from the carb overflow & there are several causes. Some guys simply insulate the fuel line running between the jugs and that revolves the issue. In my case removal of the fuel pump solved the issue.

Throwing darts at this problem is generally a waste of money.

~~~
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
If you have an issue with a motorcycle dripping gas on a hot engine, you have a potential fire hazard. Perhaps you should go to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml and file a complaint.
Yamaha has known about this issue for years.

~~~
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahMaHaw View Post
Yamaha has known about this issue for years.

No doubt Yamaha knows about it. The point here is to have someone, say the NTSB, apply some pressure on Yamaha to get them to actually DO something about it. Only when the NTSB gets enough complaints will anything happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode