Changing exhaust. Is fuel kit necessary? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to brodon
Changing exhaust. Is fuel kit necessary?

The title pretty well says it all.

I've got one of those "new" '09 Roadstars that the factory released this Spring, and would like to put on new exhaust.

I'd like to do the Cobra or Hard Chrome long pipes or 2:1

Is a fuel kit absolutely necessary when making the switch.

BTW: do third party exhaust has oxygen sensor "tubes" like my stock exhaust?

thanks. . . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 06:13 AM

If the pipes are designed for your model year bike then yes they will have a place for the O2 sensors.

Fuel injected bikes do not require a fuel kid when you put on open pipes and/or an air kit. I ran my fuel injected Kawasaki Vulcan with both and never added a fuel kit to it... bike ran great and I never had an issue related to that.

Conversely, I have a buddy who just put Cobra pipes on his '08 Road Star and he added a power commander. I told him he wouldn't need it since the bike would adjust itself. He did it anyway because the guy at the shop told him he should have one.

He has had it in there 3 or 4 times now and they still can't get the mapping right, so his bike is running crappy and sucking way too much fuel.

I would suggest to try it without first and if you like the results then don't bother to add one. I'm not a guy who likes to spend money when he doesn't have to.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Sent from my LG Motion

~~~
2000 Road Star Silverado 1600
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 09:34 AM

I don't have experience with the Roadstar exhaust, but in general not all pipes made for a given model year bike will have a bung for the O2 sensors. Many aftermarket pipes delete the sensor and therefore require a fuel processor which connects to the O2 sensor for mapping.

It may be the case that all -Roadstar- exhausts made for your model year bike will have a bung for the sensors, but that isn't always the case for aftermarket exhausts in general.

I like the idea of not spending money on the fuel processor until you try it without. My Strat came with the power commander and aftermarket exhaust (no O2 sensor connection). It rides well without the processor, but very, very lean (it isn't adjusting for the increased air intake flow or the free-flowing exhaust). I adjusted the processor and it runs perfect now. Still, worth a try without first.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 05:21 AM

The Warrior riders have been adjusting the mapping for their bikes for years.
You can check every sensor on your FI Roadie with the rocker switch that changes your odometer readings, and with the grounding of one wire in the main harness, you can actually make some changes.

This info on running the diagnostic is in the manual.

After reading many posts on RSC, about guys that put Power commanders and add on electrical boxes to regulate spark & fuel delivery, have long since removed them, because the stock setup works so well and needs no adjustment. You can add pipes and big air kit with no ill effects, too cool huh?

You might find what I wrote about Vaccum lines here interesting -
https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=34241

Last edited by Gadgetman; 10-15-2013 at 05:26 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

A fuel kit should compliment ur after market pipes whether or not they are free flowing or have an O2 sensor port, but is not necessary. A fuel kit would help in any case since the bike is programmed to run a lean fuel mixture from the factory.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to brodon
I've installed Cobra's 2:1 with great sound, and just a bit more pep.

Got a little backfire on decel, but nothing major.

So far. . . . all is well
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 11:01 PM

Backfire on Decel, make sure all your joints are tight, many backfires are caused by air leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode