Laid him down 2 weeks ago - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Laid him down 2 weeks ago

Had to lay my sled down two weeks ago.. I was the 3 rd vehicle in a turning lane, I had just changed lanes into that lane when the 1st vehicle slammed on the brakes to make a right before the main intersection, so the small SUV in front of me slammed on her brakes and my choices we're go thru the back window head first or lay him down and hope for the best. This is what I over heard from the lady in the second vehicle, all I know is I had no options, to the left a car and to the right the curb. I locked up the brakes and started sliding, my bike uprighted itself and launched me off of it. I was thrown a few feet and slid a little on my ass. I have a fractured left wrist in 2 places, fractured left elbow, fractured right big toe, bruised right lung and bruised left ribs. I am thankful I am alive, I am glad I decided to wear my full face helmet and boots that day! The boots saved my toe, but are destroyed.

Bike Damage $6600: All Damage is on the right side of bike: Dent in Gas Tank, Saddle Bag Buckles ripped off, Front fender and fender protection bar, Floor board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phpxqDu6FAM.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	19649   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpsaG62DAM.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	19657   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpNF2BmWAM.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	19665   Click image for larger version

Name:	php5y6XgiAM.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	19673   Click image for larger version

Name:	php1GXPqGAM.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	19681  

Darren Palmer
2006 Roadstar Silverado 1700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 AM

Sorry to hear some thing happened to my uncle a few months ago as well. They totaled his bike and with accessory coverage got way more than what it was worth.

However I am trying to see how its 6600 worth of damage from your pics it appears to be a new or fix your tank problem, a new paint job on the front fended maybe replace the fender guard thats what for sure kept it from getting trashed and some pipes, and a new light on that side possibly a new mount, I can't see much more than that.

But hope you get better soon.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 02:07 PM

Sorry to hear that.I no your in a lot of pain,but your a live to talk a bout it. An thats what counts.

07 v star 1100 sliverado-Micks ssd kit-sscustom pod kit-cobra pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstardavid View Post
Sorry to hear that.I no your in a lot of pain,but your a live to talk a bout it. An thats what counts.
I agree. Bikes can be replaced, people can't.
Heal quickly.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 08:45 PM

Don't you wish you had purchased a bike with ABS, so the wheels would not have locked up and tossed you?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 07:10 AM

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 08:44 AM

I used to have a Suzuki S40. I loaded it onto a trailer, and about two miles from home a tie-down strap broke. The bike fell over, and its tank hit an eyebolt on the trailer. There were also a few very small scratches. The estimate from Star City Powersports in Lincoln, NE, was over $1800. I recalled that I had full insurance coverage, and called my agent. Their claims adjuster totalled the bike. Since I had kept it stock and maintained it well, they paid me more than NADA retail, because it was in "better than average" condition. For information, the tank on an S40 is over $600. It is unclear whether that includes the little chrome decorations. Also for information, the shop rate at Star City is $62 per HALF hour.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 04:26 PM

Damn, that sux dude!! I'm glad you escaped with only minor injuries! Yer sled can be fixed and hopefully it won't cost the entire $6600. I have been on two wheels for about 35yrs and have been very fortunate to have never gone down(knock wood!) You will heal and be on the road again soon. Take care

Patrick, A.K.A. Goalie-1
"My goal, is to deny yours"
1999 RoadStar
Blue L.E.D. Kit
Barons Big Radius Drags
Custom Paint
V&H Long Shots
A few Homemade addons
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Talking Update on My Bike

Talked to the shop repairing my bike, I should have it back in about 2 weeks. I may not be able to ride it because of my wrist when I get it back but I don't care..........I JUST WANT MY ROADDOG BACK!

Darren Palmer
2006 Roadstar Silverado 1700
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 PM

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, glad you are ok
A hard learning experience for sure.

A titbit just from me here for all new and younger riders: NEVER put yourself in the position to have to lay your bike down! That is a voluntary wreck It does not have to happen, BE AWARE , give yourself plenty of room + ALWAYS have an "out" no matter where or when I want to see the younger riders become older riders

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode