Rambling on V-Star a Bit - With an HD Question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Rambling on V-Star/Road Star a Bit - With an HD Question

I recently went from my 2010 V-Star 950 Tourer to a 2012 Road Star Silverado (1700) leftover and couldn't be happier. Please note that the 950 was stellar: no real repairs for my full 26,000 miles, except a clunking sound in the fork which was resolved when a local shop changed to heavier oil. (The Yamaha dealer, sadly, had no clue how to fix it; apparently, it was a design defect.)

Anyway, like many of us, I contemplated getting an HD before I bought each bike. In the end, I felt the bang for the buck was considerably lacking in the HDs to comparable V-Star models, and the more expensive HDs were too much for my wallet. Further, I think the Victory has a much better, more modern and evolved look, and I've heard nothing but great things about the Victory's ride and power. Frankly, HD better watch their a__ as Victory is becoming a much more serious competitor--and rapidly.

Finally, here's my question: I've known several HD owners who never complain about their bikes' reliability. But many others state readily that repairs for HDs are frequent and quite expensive. Can anyone shed a light on this?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by DavidY; 11-15-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Some incorrect info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:46 PM

Intresting question. I think some of the rumours about HD unreliability are put about by people who just want to knock them for some reason. However my mate has had HDs for 40 years now and there do seem to be certain flaws in some models. Some Sportsters have gearbox problems, some high cam engines have soft cam followers, Rocker Cs break seats, Shovels can overheat etc.

I think the thing that has bothered me most about Phil's Harleys is that none of the problems have occured due to high mileage. For example he had his 2000 Road King 12 years and did a little over 15000 miles only but needed new cam followers and motor mounts in that time. If my Midnight Star needs that sort of work in that mileage it's going back to Yamaha.

Also there is definitely a premium for HD parts. How about a set of panniers and rack 1500. Even Yamaha only charge 800 and that is ridiculous. Way back when I was buying cables for my Brit bikes for 2 or 3 Phil was paying 19 for an HD a clutch cable.

Still each to their own and if owners can afford it then good luck to them, after all HDs have two wheels so they can't be that bad!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM

newer Harley's (1999-up) are very reliable if maintained properly. some of these (99-04) have problems with cam chain tensioners needing replaced about every 30k miles, otherwise there are not to many problems with them. every bike model being produced have some sort of problems with them from time to time and Harley's are no different. Pretty much every manufacturer these days makes a good bike. that being said, it's hard (or impossible) to beat what you get for your money with a roadstar.
BTW I have been riding Harley's for years (about 100k on 4 bikes and 25k on wifes 2 bikes) with only one or 2 small problems all together. I also have a 2001 roadstar which I love just as much as the harley's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 09:58 PM

HD ABS brakes are problematic and costly to repair. 2008 had heat issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode