Brake Light Fuse - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Brake Light Fuse

The brake light isn't working on my '07 Road Star and the fuse block has no fuse for it. Is there an inline fuse for the brake light somewhere?Riding weather will soon be here and I want to be ready for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 09:05 AM

Signal light fuse

The fuse is called the signal light fuse. May include turn signals? The circuit is front and rear brake light switches the LED light assembly which will have some current limiting somewhere, and the fuse.

The manual is on Paulmilner dot com. Page 7-45. There is a step by step trouble shooting section. If this link doesn't get you there just go to paulmilner.com.

http://www.paulmilner.com/yamaha/han...602_082008.pdf

Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
The fuse is called the signal light fuse. May include turn signals? The circuit is front and rear brake light switches the LED light assembly which will have some current limiting somewhere, and the fuse.

The manual is on Paulmilner dot com. Page 7-45. There is a step by step trouble shooting section. If this link doesn't get you there just go to paulmilner.com.

http://www.paulmilner.com/yamaha/han...602_082008.pdf

Dave
You are saying it'a in front of the license plate?
I'll check that out, though the turn signals and tail light are working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 01:25 PM

Fuse

Mirage,

No the fuse is on the left side of the bike below the seat behind the pannel there. I believe it is a key lock, not sure. May be a storage compartment there also. You can read the owners manual on Starmotorcycles dot come or Paulmilners dot com.

But, the tail light and the brake light are on the same fuse. Doesn't seem like both brake light switches would be bad. But, you need to check them. Maybe stuck from setting all winter. Look for a broken wire or a connector pulled or falling off. Hope your LED light is not bad. They are pretty reliable. If you can get to a wire or connection point use a Volt meter or test light to see if you are getting power to the light. Most likely loose connection might be a ground.

Dave
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 01:32 PM

Tail light

Margage,

I was thinking you have an LED tail light, maybe not. If it is a bulb have you changed the bulb and inspected the socket? Newer bikes are LED not sure when they changed. The horn is also on that same fuse. Does it work?

Dave

Last edited by linerdave; 03-26-2011 at 01:46 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Yes I have LED taillights and yes, my horn works. All the lights work except the brake light. The fuse block behind the left cover doesn't have a fuse for stop or taillights and I can't find one inline either. I've followed the line as far as I can and am not finding a fuse for tail lights, brake lights, or horn. The fuse block has 8 fuses but none for thail light, brake light, or horn. I took the tank off but couldn't find any fuses under there either.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 05:38 PM

fuse

Looking at the electrical drawings in the service manual since your horn and tail light work I don't think the problem is a fuse. Both the drawings for the 1600 and 1700 show horn, tail lights, speedometer, and brake light to be on the same fuse, called signal light fuse. I think all your fuses are in the left side or under the seat. They don't show any others on the drawings.

Are you able to get to a connection at the light? You need to know if you have power there. If not then go the switch's and check it there. There should always have power on one side of the switch. Voltage should appear on the other side of the switch when you push the brake that switch is for.

If you have power at the light check the grounds. Pay attention to the connectors. Sometimes a wire will brake right where it goes into the connector. I would say if you have power at the light and also a good ground the light is bad. You might take the seats off when tracing the wires.

I believe the power lead to the switches are brown, the lead to the light is yellow. If I read the drawing color code right.

Dave

Last edited by linerdave; 03-26-2011 at 06:07 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Dave, you're right, it must be a switch. Checking them is out of my comfort level. I was hoping it would be something easy because I've recently lost my job due to the fact it's being moved to Mexico so I was hoping to be able to fix it myself but now I guess I'll have to take it to a mechanic and spend money I can't afford to spend. For all I know the bike will end up going back to the bank. I've got a lot of money in it, I guess a little more is in order. Thanks for your help.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 07:49 PM

Switch

Marage,

Sorry to hear about your job. Lots of people in that boat. Hope it is easing up. Need you guys to work so I can collect my retirement benetits.

I suggest you give it a try. The front brake light switch is on the brake lever. The rear brake light switch is connected to the brake peddle. The wires are protected but if you can get to them a small test light that will work on 12 Volts. If you have a Volt meter, any old meter would be good enough for this. The Voltages should be the same as you see on the battery. You know your limits so don't get into trouble.

Check the plungers on the two switches to be sure thay are not sticking. Good luck. I would not ride without brake lights. Being rear-ended is a common car motorcycle accident. Maybe a friend will be willing to help.

Dave
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

No, I don't like riding w/o brake lights. It's odd that the brake light isn't activated by either the front lever or the rear pedal. I think it quit working over the winter. I have a multimeter, I've just never used one before and am not sure where to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode