Road Star 1700 Factory Seat Question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Road Star 1700 Factory Seat Question

I just got this recently & bike came with Mustang Daytripper. I loved this seat which I coincedentally had on my Shadow 750. But on the RS, I'd like a 2 piece seat & hopefully really comfortable as I put some hours on it when I can. My question is how comfortable is the factory seat? Mine didn't come with it since I bought it used but I can find them cheap online. It sounds like from reviews that the factory seat sits higher and a lil further back on the frame than Mustangs or Renegades. Anyone have feedback on the comfort of the factory seat for long rides? I really don't want to drop $500-650 for a new seat set. (I attached pic of the Daytripper for reference)

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1861-1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	23585  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:55 PM

If it's the same seat as is on the older 1600 (I have a 2003 Roadstar) the factory seat is not too bad. It definitely looks higher and a lot of people say the Mustangs and Corbins push you forward so I think a lot people would agree that you will be higher and further back. In my case, I am quite short and prefer closer and lower. If you are interested in a trade - let me know as I am using a corbin seat but still interested in getting a little lower. My stock seats are in fine to excellent condition and boxed up in storage. PM me if you want to talk about it.

Annie
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for info Annie. The Daytripper definitely sits lower than stock I"m sure. I'm 5'11" (with boots on and I'm able to keep both feet flat on ground with some room to spare. Have you checked out the Saddleman Renegade? Reviews and pics look like that thing moves you forward 2-3" and lowers you about 2". I can tell you that the Daytripper drops you some but I can't see it pushing you forward. Frankly, if I'm really getting on the throttle I'm sliding back along the seat bc there is not that much rear butt support compared to other seats. Not a deal breaker for me by any means so I'll hang on to it for while to see. However, I'll research parts to see if yours will fit my 2007 and PM you. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:05 PM

I absolutely hated the stock seat. It was really uncomfortable to me for even a short ride. There are a lot of different opinions on which aftermarket seat is best but it really comes down to what fits you and your wallet. Most of the people I have heard that didn't mind the stock seat were women for some reason. Maybe they have better natural rear end padding.

BLUE BIKE CLUB

2008 ROAD STAR

2008 KAWASAKI KLR 650

2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

My ride videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/roadstarblue/videos

Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

"I absolutely hated the stock seat. It was really uncomfortable to me for even a short ride. There are a lot of different opinions on which aftermarket seat is best but it really comes down to what fits you and your wallet. Most of the people I have heard that didn't mind the stock seat were women for some reason. Maybe they have better natural rear end padding."

Yes, you are so right. Seat comfort is all perspective. My thoughts was I liked the look of the stock seat and can find them around $50-100 online. I figured at that price, if I hated it I could turn around and get most money back. The ED Seat for $550 or Mustang Touring for $650 is just too rich for my blood.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 PM

I swapped mine for the Pacific Coast Stars comfort seat. With the core its only $125.00 and I love it. Having said that you do not have the stockers to send back. I would check into them and see what they say. They offer a 30 day money back trial also, its almost a win win.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 09:52 AM

I went with the Saddlemen Renegade and am pretty happy with it. About $200
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saddlemen-Re...item4d176730cd

2009 Road Star Candy Red
Patriot Guard Rider
Custom Flag Mounts
Speedstar Pipes
Yamaha Quick Release Windshield
Saddleman Renegade Seat
Bakup Backrest
Yamaha Sissy Bar
Tour Classic Bags
Baron Engine Guard
Yamaha Chrome Lowers
3.5" Risers
2nd Brake Light & Brake Light Modulator
Black Iso Grips
Kuryakyn Throttle Assist
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derailed75 View Post
I swapped mine for the Pacific Coast Stars comfort seat. With the core its only $125.00 and I love it. Having said that you do not have the stockers to send back. I would check into them and see what they say. They offer a 30 day money back trial also, its almost a win win.
Just ordered the Pacific Coast stars seat and was wondering how long it took you to receive your seat after ordering?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickM View Post
Just ordered the Pacific Coast stars seat and was wondering how long it took you to receive your seat after ordering?

I got it within a week. Im on the east coast and they got it to me really quick.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derailed75 View Post
I got it within a week. Im on the east coast and they got it to me really quick.
Thanks for the reply. I'm on the east coast too and hope to get it within a couple of weeks. I replaced my original seat with a 2pc mustang seat but I just don't like how much forward it seats me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode