Major problem with 2005 XVS 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Question Major problem with 2005 XVS 1100

Appreciate any comments.
I am a bike rider in Brisbane – I have an 2005 XVS 1100 and thoroughly enjoy it.

Just over a week ago my bike broke. Its 3 years old, has 12,000 klms on it (I don’t get out that much) and I broke the front universal – the top shaft going into the joint just snapped. The universal joint is bugged, the housing frame around the joint is bent big time – the bike shop has pulled the whole engine apart to identify all the problems.

The quote to get it fixed was between $5,000 and $6,000 – the dealership I bought the bike through has gone to Yamaha to see if they would come to the party on some cost – this kind of fault should not happen. Yamaha have said they will pay $4,000 for the parts – I am up for the rest – not a lot of change out of $2,000.

My question – has this happened other bike riders? Is it a problem with this model? Is this a manufacturing problem – if it has happened with other bikes, it might appear to be an inherent problem.

Truly, my situation might be a ‘one off’, and bad luck on my part. But if anyone could tell me if they are aware of this fault with other bikes, I would appreciate any advice.

Regards
Ian McC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 11:14 PM

Cool Broke

That sucks brother. I have the same year Roadstar. I haven't had any problems as of yet but if something like that happens I will be sure to post it. Good luck getting this figured out.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response - bike all fixed a little while ago and travelling well now, no problems. Apart from this front universal problem, the bike is great.
Hope all goes well for you. Safe riding.
regards
Ian McC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:36 PM

Ian McC
check out the Vstar portion of this forum. Myself and at least one other person are having the same problem. I have 60k on my 06 1100vstar. I figure that with the mileage I have Yamaha will tell me to go fish. I am going to start tearing the bike apart to find out what the damage is.
Good luck
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode