Carbs. VS. E.F.I. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Carbs. VS. E.F.I.

I was told that the model with carbs. runs better and the throttle responds faster. Also was told that the exhaust sounds better and you can run your custom exhaust without baffles with the carbs.EFI must use baffles? What was the first year they used EFI on?
Thanks

JaBo
ISO Grips
Switchblade foot/heel rests
Cobra Engine Guard
K & N Intake Filter
V & H Short Shots Staggered Exhaust
Cobra Bag supports
Willie & Max Slant Medium Throw Overs
Willie & Max Handelbar Tool Pouch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:24 PM

Bunk

JaBo,

Not expert by any means. But, I would say none of that is true. I believe the throttle plate is actually advanced by vacume on V Star carbs. Ramped electronicly on an injected bike. If you make big changes in exhaust you will neet to either rejet carbs or add a fuel controller for either.

A good exhaust is designed for the bike it fits and will sound good regargless. Newer injected bikes often have a cataleptic converter in the front end but after market does not in either case. Some of the new factory exhaust don't sound bad. Not as loud but good.

Origionaly you could do more for your carburetor but today after market fuel controllers are available that work well.

Its mostly what you want or are looking at. I believe they actually get a little more power out of a stock bike now with injection, but, was mostly for EPA. Example the V Star 950 has almost power as an 1100.

Dave
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:32 PM

Dyno

I forgot I was on the Roadstar forum, here is a link to some dyno charts that cover both the 1600 and 1700 Road*. I think there were a few carburetor 1700's. Shows both stock and not stock.

http://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/yamaha_dynos.htm

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

1700 purchase

I am asking cause I am looking to make a purchase here. I can get a 07 Silverado carb. model for at least a thousand less than a EFI model. Here is one im looking at. I might hold off till December when the prices really drop cause my first choice is the Midnight Silverado. So do you think there is really no advantage to the EFI model compaired to the money I can save?
What do you think bout the price on this?http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2469834852.html

All it needs is some ISO grips. This is a nice looking machine none the less.

JaBo
ISO Grips
Cobra Engine Guard
K & N Intake Filter
Cobra Bag supports

Last edited by JaBo; 07-25-2011 at 10:19 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:38 PM

You be the judge

Jabo,

You will no doubt be happy with either. I do believe they get a little more power from FI. You can stick a fuel module on it and see a change. but that bike is not stock.

The Cobra pipes are probably $500. With 2,000 miles that is just broken in. You might ask if anything like a fuel module was installed. The bike may be running lean with an exhaust change if not. I don't believe you could tell the difference in response on the quicker thing. If it has a fuel module added that will offset any difference. But, I also believe the injected model will have a little more power.

The Lindby crash bars are maybe $300.

You may want a sissy bar and passenger back rest to keep from dumping the wife off the back. Those Roadstars have lots of torque.

I was looking last fall and winter, did not see any bargains. People still wanted the same. If it is the bike you want I would go for it if the price is right. Look at kelly blue book dot come. Dealers get a little more, but private sellers have no warrenty.

Dave
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:03 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Efi is the way to go carbs are antiquated.Much better fuel control with efi with all the controllers out there. Pretty much a plug and play.Carbs plug up easy when they have sat around alot.It's 2011 efi is in. Just my 2 cents.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeater113 View Post
Efi is the way to go carbs are antiquated.Much better fuel control with efi with all the controllers out there. Pretty much a plug and play.Carbs plug up easy when they have sat around alot.It's 2011 efi is in. Just my 2 cents.
agreed. it's like the difference between analog and digital. nothing wrong with a carb model, but EFI is today's technology and carbs are for yesteryear.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:07 AM

I agree that they are old school but that was the appeal when I bought my "09 1100 Classic. No computers, no plug and play, not even a fuel gauge or warning light. Very retro and hands on with regards to mods. It is harder to maintain but that's the appeal of it. I thoroughly enjoy tearing it down and cleaning it up every winter.
To each their own.

Ride Safe
Mark

1992 Virago 750
2009 vstar 1100 classic
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

I do like that Roadstar, and I am fine with the price. But I would kick myself if I found a Midnight Silverado for the same price or lower this winter.And I would also kick myself for not getting this one if a Midnight did not come around.
I have been looking at Craigs List and local listings every day for over 2 years and the prices around the Houston area drop big time in December. Houston is a buyers market for motors at that time. Man oh man, what to do ????

JaBo
ISO Grips
Cobra Engine Guard
K & N Intake Filter
Cobra Bag supports
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 10:31 PM

I'm with you on one thing Jabo, i like to tinker with carbs and other fun things. I'm also looking at something with EFI for long road trips so i don't have to worry about mechanical breakdown thousands of miles from home. I did have one instance were my float stuck open due to dirty gas (i believe). Came out of the store she was pissin' gas in the parking lot (shoulda shut the petcock off huh?).

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode