Road Star carb jetting question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Road Star carb jetting question

Hey,

I installed a set of Freedom Tru-Dual exhaust on my 07 RS and want to adjust the idle circuit fuel mixture. I have been reading that most owners installing this exhaust ( I have stock intake with AIS removed) have been getting good performance results leaving the stock internal jets and needle alone and just adjusting the screw under the carb.

Anyway, once I remove the plug hiding the idle circuit screw at the bottom of the carb, which way do I turn the screw to make the mixture more rich? In other words...is this an air control screw, or is it a fuel control screw? Thanks

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:19 PM

If i remember correctly... turning it counterclockwise (backing it out) will richen things up. Since my memory is perfect i know that.....oh...who are you?

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Carburetor

If this link works take a look at the PMS articles.

http://roadstarclinic.com/content/category/6/70/96/

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:19 PM

SparkyD is correct. It is in fact a fuel mixture screw. Turning the screw clockwise will lean it and counter clockwise will make it richer. Roughly speaking, with a standard intake and exhaust system most carburetor model Road Stars tend to idle smoothly and respond best when this screw is backed out 3.0 to 4.0 turns from its lightly seated position. Just beware of exceeding 4.5 due to the lack of spring tension left in the screw.
Generally, when the exhaust system is changed from OE the carburetor does not require any internal jetting changes unless you are also modifying the intake system. In this case, the product should supply direction with specific jetting recommendations.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 10:56 AM

Listen to these two guys Rich, especially this guy Cheese and Crackers. He's a pretty damn smart feller when it comes to these issues and has helped me out quite a bit. Sparky on the other hand just thought my problems had to do with the blinker grease.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead1100 View Post
Listen to these two guys Rich, especially this guy Cheese and Crackers. He's a pretty damn smart feller when it comes to these issues and has helped me out quite a bit. Sparky on the other hand just thought my problems had to do with the blinker grease.
Jarhead, please don't induce more confusion. The blinker grease is for lubrication of bulb fillaments while blinker fluid is to assist in electron flow thru signal relays...duh!

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode