Samson Rolled Thunder Exhaust question!! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Samson Rolled Thunder Exhaust question!!

I tried to post this in the exhaust section but it is telling me I don't have permission to post there for some reason. I hope somebody can help me on this.
I picked up a new set of Samson Rolled Thunder Oval slip ons for my 2005 Roadstar 1700.
They came with 1 page instructions that I thought were very straight forward. I have the following questions to anybody who has installed them on their bike.
REMOVAL PROCEDURE:
Loosen the clamps holding the mufflers to the header pipes.
MY FACTORY MUFFLERS DON"T HAVE CLAMPS ON THEM. They are slipped on and there is a 2" wide exhaust gasket that fits in between the factory muffler ends and the header pipes. These gaskets cover up the slots cut into the ends of the slip ons so they don't leak.
The directions make no mention of these exhaust gaskets. Am I supposed to reuse them for the new exhaust? They are in fairly lousy shape.
The lower slip ons went on perfectly. There are slots in the end of the slip ons but when I push them into the exhaust header the slots get covered by the factory exhaust pipes.
The upper slip ons aren't so good. If I fully seat them on the factory header pipe the hole in the bracket that mount them to the hangar doesn't line up. If I back the slip on out to line up the mounting hole you can see the slots where the exhaust will leak where they slip on to the factory header pipe. It seems to me that I need to install those gaskets that I mentioned earlier so that I won't have a leak where they need to be clamped but the kit didn't come with gaskets, they don't mention gaskets and I don't think I can reuse my old ones.
Any help is greatly appreaciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode