Gas Gauge issue - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Gas Gauge issue

I just bought a 2000 Roadstar 1600 a few months ago, was told the gauge was stuck, ran seafoam in it, nothing, took the tank off, traced the wiring from the lead to back of tank, (green plug), traced it up front to the end of the plug and it's just hanging there, nothing to plug into. Anyone know how the wire tied into the gauge cluster or have a wire diagram of it? Thanks for any help.
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James013168 View Post
I just bought a 2000 Roadstar 1600 a few months ago, was told the gauge was stuck, ran seafoam in it, nothing, took the tank off, traced the wiring from the lead to back of tank, (green plug), traced it up front to the end of the plug and it's just hanging there, nothing to plug into. Anyone know how the wire tied into the gauge cluster or have a wire diagram of it? Thanks for any help.
James

Sorry dont know about the wiring however the Roadies are notorious for having bad sending units.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James013168 View Post
James
You still have a socket coming from the wiring harness on the bike, that the socket from the tank can plug into right? If so, you've got what you're supposed to. The other end of the wire attached to the tank goes to the sending unit that is actually inside the tank.

Mine took a dump on me too. As was mentioned, it's a real common problem. The unit is only $30ish dollars, but I don't know how to do it myself. I suspect it would be a good hundred plus to have the dealer let me out with an install. Check in at Roadstarclinic.com. There are some threads related to faulty fuel senders.

Personally, I just went back to the tried and true method of watching the tripometer. I would start sputtering for reserve right at 180 miles, like clockwork. After that much riding I was always ready for a little break anyway.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Pangea33
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:12 PM

Mine is starting to do this with about 11K. Sometimes it works after a fill up, sometimes it don't. I'm also just relying on the odometer.

Annie
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 05:13 PM

Well...... My fuel gauge went out.

My fuel gauge went out , do I took it to the shop using my extended warranty . They replaced a fuel sensor but the gauge reading is incorrect.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 07:37 PM

I've heard the units sometimes respond better after disconnecting the battery for a little while. On the order of 10 minutes. Although if I had an extended warranty I'd probably just press the shop that replaced the sender on this issue.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 09:57 AM

The sending unit I bleive is 2 10mm screws and its out. Put the new one in and your done. Get some plastic tube same size as the gas line coming out of the petcock and drain the tank into a gas tank at home. The unit will dump gas in it if its not empty.

Maybe about an hour maybe two if your not familiar with your bikes tank being off. The roadstar is so much easier to pull than the 1100s as well. Two 10mm sockets pulls out take the dash plate off and unplug or move aside and just pull the tank back and straight up and out.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 03:19 PM

If you go on roadstarclinic,com, there is a very detailed procedure to clean the leads in the fuel sending unit. Requires disassembly, but not hard to do. You have to clean the leads with a pencil eraser and get rid of the accumulated gunk.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangea33 View Post
You still have a socket coming from the wiring harness on the bike, that the socket from the tank can plug into right? If so, you've got what you're supposed to. The other end of the wire attached to the tank goes to the sending unit that is actually inside the tank.

Mine took a dump on me too. As was mentioned, it's a real common problem. The unit is only $30ish dollars, but I don't know how to do it myself. I suspect it would be a good hundred plus to have the dealer let me out with an install. Check in at Roadstarclinic.com. There are some threads related to faulty fuel senders.

Personally, I just went back to the tried and true method of watching the tripometer. I would start sputtering for reserve right at 180 miles, like clockwork. After that much riding I was always ready for a little break anyway.

you get 180 to the tank? must be nice, mine took a dump as well and i can barely get 140 from the whole tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode