First Road Star - are these things normal? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

First Road Star - are these things normal?

There are a few things I'm hoping you all can help clarify for me. I just picked up a 2006 Road Star with 5500 miles. Factory exhaust and I don't believe motor or fuel system has been modified in any way.

I've never owned a carbureted bike outside of an old dirt bike long ago. The dirt bike left that distict smell of fuel on my clothes following a good ride. I get that after riding my Road Star. Is it normal or should there not be any noticible smell? There are no leaks and no moisture on any of the lines that are visible, I'm worried it's running rich.

Next, without a tachometer, I have no idea what RPMs I'm running at. My question is, what speeds for which gears do our bikes like most? I like the sound when I'm at a higher gear and the engine is turning more slowly but I'm not sure this is ideal.

The bike has no issues starting but I'm unsure of the best way to use the choke when starting the bike. I've read to never ride the bike with the choke on at all. I've also read about the full, then half, then off method of getting the bike going. I've been using this method but often have began riding with the choke at half, then turning it off (pushing it all the way in) after riding a few minutes when it will idle with no choke.

Lastly, when I turn the bike off, I hear a subtle "burp" from the exhaust. This happens most of the time when I turn it off but not all the time. Not too worried about it, just curious if it's normal.

So far, I love this thing (had it 1 week today!) and can't wait to get back on it after work today...or at lunch, and maybe I'll take an extra break too... I just want to understand how best to operate this beast. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

-jdb

Last edited by jdbell; 08-27-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: additional question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Anyone?

I also noticed after I warmed her up on a decent in-town ride and shut it off for about 15 minutes; when I started it back up, the throttle was sluggish from idle.

I can't wait to take this thing through the Kettle Moraine and to Door County this weekend!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 08:51 PM

Grats on your new bike.

I have never heard of the gas smell issue. I have rode 500+miles in a day and never had that problem. It can and will burp gas when it gets really hot and then you shut it off.

Dont know what to tell you about shift points as I play it by ear. I can tell you there will be times finding the right gear will be tough. I find a lot of times I am going to slow for one gear and too fast for the other and its a lot of feathering between at that point.

Anyway you will love the bike the more you have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 11:11 PM

My Roadie sometimes kicks off a pretty strong gas smell, but I just keep a close watch on the fuel mileage. As long as I'm getting mid-40s or above, I feel there is nothing out of sorts happening.

I'd try running a little Seafoam through it. That's really low miles, but it also means that bike has done a lot of sitting at some point in it's life. I had sluggish response early on, but a heavy dose of Seafoam did the trick. That stuff is not a mechanic in a can, but it has a big impact anytime one of my bikes is running "pretty good" to start with.

Other than that, your not describing anything that's really out of the ordinary. I love a Roadstar, but they're definitely a little rough around the edges. Burpy, rattley, clanky and cold natured at times, but they'll run forever.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks pan and derailed! I just took her on a decent ride for the afternoon with my wife. I love getting this thing on the open road! I'm still battling with shift points though. The were some hills where we rode and it felt like I could never find the right gear. Honestly I think my choice was almost always one too high which may have lead to my next issue... Well my wife's issue, which I guess makes it my issue... I know a big V Twins will vibrate a bit but it vibrates so much my wife couldn't use the back rest almost the entire 100 miles. I was taking 3rd up to 35-40 and 4th gear up to about 55-60 mph. The vibrating calmed down a bit in 5th around 70mph to the point my wife could use the back rest a bit. The vibrating still caused some discomfort though. Is this typical or should I be be worried? Personally I like feeling the motor and hope it's normal.

I'm tracking the mpg too. Should I be expecting something in the 40's?

Again, I appreciat all of your input. I love this bike and want to keep her running strong for many years.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 10:17 PM

Those shift points seem pretty similar to where I shift. It's hard to say about the vibration. How long have you been riding as a couple? Maybe she just isn't used to the feel of the big V-Twin. I know for me a 1/4 turn blip on the throttle will send a major surge through the entire bike along with a loud crack from the exhaust. Even bumbling along in 5th at 60 she vibrates pretty hard. Just comes with the territory.

Mileage will vary obviously but anywhere in the 40s is common. I picked up my newest Roadstar Friday afternoon, and my wrist kept me to a mere 40. Got more like 44 mpg on the second tank as I started hammering it less. Hit around 46-47 today after running some seafoam. That's about all I expect because the fairing is pushing a lot more air. Have seen as high as 52 on a couple tanks with my previous bike.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 10:33 PM

Yup gas milage sounds about right. Not sure about the vibration. I know it being a pushrod motor it will vibrate, and I have heard somethings about the rear fender cracking maybe thats got something to do with it? It does make since though as the rear fender mount points are both under the seat so the back end (where the passenger pillion and back rest are) is basically just suspended. Anyway look into more padding for her maybe take a look at ultimate seats or ED seats and get the back rest replaced with something better. Again try this question at the Roadstarclinic I bet someone there knows the cause and the solution.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 07:56 AM
GEZ

Check here http://roadstarclinic.com/ for snything you could wsnt to know sbout s Road Star.

'08 Royal Star Venture
'07 Road Star Silverado
'04 V Star 650 Classic
Lovin' it
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEZ View Post
Check here http://roadstarclinic.com/ for snything you could wsnt to know sbout s Road Star.
Hey GEZ, I ventured on over to the clinic but am unable to register. I've been trying for a couple of weeks but no dice. Is this just temporary?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbell View Post
Hey GEZ, I ventured on over to the clinic but am unable to register. I've been trying for a couple of weeks but no dice. Is this just temporary?
We have had some spammer issues over there. You should find a link to an email a mod. They will review and set you up. You can not join without going through this process. Just keeps the spammers and garbage out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode