09 Vstar 1100 to 07 Roadstar 1700 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

09 Vstar 1100 to 07 Roadstar 1700

Anyone make the move from a vstar 1100
To a Roadstar 1700? I like the 1100 except
On the hwy. I'm wondering about handling,
weight difference, power etc.. I mainly ride
Solo but the times I've had a passenger on the
Back of 1100 it felt under powered

I'm currently riding an 09 1100 vstar &
I'm looking at an 07 roadstar for $7,000(low km-Canada
Bike). I couldn't take it out for a test ride today but
Will try soon. Was looking at Harley Roadkings
But you need $15,000 in Canada for a decent used one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 08:50 AM

I ride an 09 FI bike. All the power I need.
I don't think you will be disappointed.
The Road Star is a torque monster

2009 Road Star Candy Red
Patriot Guard Rider
Custom Flag Mounts
Speedstar Pipes
Yamaha Quick Release Windshield
Saddleman Renegade Seat
Bakup Backrest
Yamaha Sissy Bar
Tour Classic Bags
Baron Engine Guard
Yamaha Chrome Lowers
3.5" Risers
2nd Brake Light & Brake Light Modulator
Black Iso Grips
Kuryakyn Throttle Assist
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 09:44 PM

The Road star is fine on the highway 1 up or 2 up. I find it one of the easiest handling bikes I have owned. Other than maybe physically pushing the bike it handles just as easy as a Suzuki C50 that I had 3 bikes ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 10:15 PM

V-Star 1100 to RoadStar 1700

About 7 years ago, I bought a used '04 Yamaha V-Star 1100cc Classic. Liked it but had originally wanted a RoadStar. Rode the V-Star for about 3 years and found a used '05 RoadStar. Long story short; talked my wife into taking the V-Star and bought the RoadStar with a mere 4000 miles on the Roadie. Exchanged cash for title, registered, etc and went immediately to my local Yamaha shop. Had the full workover. Assured that I had made a great buy. When I picked it up, the traffic along the Interstate 35 access road was busy and moving fairly quickly. I saw an opening and goosed the Roadie's right handgrip to "rapidly merge" into the flow. EXCEPT... I goosed it the amount I was used to goosing the V-Star. The raw power difference between the V-Star and RoadStar engines got my full attention and put me on notice to respect the Roadie!! I have not regretted the upgrade for one minute. My RoadStar Midnite Edition is a dream to ride with her long legs and powerful strut down the road. Love it!!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 10:30 PM

Went from an 02' Vstar 650 to a 06' Road Star zero regrets. This bike is so smooth and easy to handle you will not believe it.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 08:28 PM

I'm in the same rowboat. My issue is peer pressure from all of the HOG members here. Everyone kids me about getting a 'Real' bike. Doesn't help that my brother owns a Heritage now after 4 metrics.
I test rode an Ultra and found the ergonomics too cramped compared to the stretched out comfort of the 1300 and the Nomad. I have been looking at the new Indian, Victory Cross Country and the Vulcan 1700. Then the Road Star popped up as a viable alternative so now I have been reviewing these too. My main concern is comfort and fuel mileage. While the 1300T gets between 45 - 50 mpg the Nomad is a miserable 39 - 44. That's with an engine 20 hp lower.
My brother had the Vulcan Nomad 1700 and as long as he was moving it was great. Problem is you have to stop sometime and that's where gravity took over. Bike is too top heavy and weighs in at over 800 lbs as well as seat height somewhere in the Empire State bldg.
One of my colleagues at work had a 2005 Road Star and he loved the bike. Never had any problems and he's short like me.
I guess I really need to test ride one to see if it's the right fit. I do a lot of cross country riding so I need long gears and great gas mileage especially out in west Texas. Of course pricing doesn't hurt either. I would have to dress it out with a Tour Pack and Fairing to make it a touring bike. I don't understand why Yamaha would dress up a 1300 but not the Road Star. Looks like the perfect platform for a touring edition.

R Brown
U.S. Army Medical Corp SFC (Ret)
2013 Road Star Silverado
[URL="[URL=http://s224.photobucket.com/user/ms14796/media/Russ_Silverado.jpg.html][IMG]
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms14796 View Post
I'm in the same rowboat. My issue is peer pressure from all of the HOG members here. Everyone kids me about getting a 'Real' bike. Doesn't help that my brother owns a Heritage now after 4 metrics.
I test rode an Ultra and found the ergonomics too cramped compared to the stretched out comfort of the 1300 and the Nomad. I have been looking at the new Indian, Victory Cross Country and the Vulcan 1700. Then the Road Star popped up as a viable alternative so now I have been reviewing these too. My main concern is comfort and fuel mileage. While the 1300T gets between 45 - 50 mpg the Nomad is a miserable 39 - 44. That's with an engine 20 hp lower.
My brother had the Vulcan Nomad 1700 and as long as he was moving it was great. Problem is you have to stop sometime and that's where gravity took over. Bike is too top heavy and weighs in at over 800 lbs as well as seat height somewhere in the Empire State bldg.
One of my colleagues at work had a 2005 Road Star and he loved the bike. Never had any problems and he's short like me.
I guess I really need to test ride one to see if it's the right fit. I do a lot of cross country riding so I need long gears and great gas mileage especially out in west Texas. Of course pricing doesn't hurt either. I would have to dress it out with a Tour Pack and Fairing to make it a touring bike. I don't understand why Yamaha would dress up a 1300 but not the Road Star. Looks like the perfect platform for a touring edition.
You are gonna be in that "miserable" gas mileage range as I get right in that area 39-46 never better. As for the rest of the stuff the Roadie will out do just about every other bike.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 08:45 PM

I can deal with low 40s. My friend just got a kawasaki dresser and he's not happy with his mileage. Mid 30s and he traded in his Road Star for that tank. He misses the power of the RS.

R Brown
U.S. Army Medical Corp SFC (Ret)
2013 Road Star Silverado
[URL="[URL=http://s224.photobucket.com/user/ms14796/media/Russ_Silverado.jpg.html][IMG]
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I can deal with low 40s. My friend just got a kawasaki dresser and he's not happy with his mileage. Mid 30s and he traded in his Road Star for that tank. He misses the power of the RS.
Is that the Vaquero? I like the looks of that bike. Never rode one and Damn sure would not trade the Roadie for it. But looks nice.

Last edited by derailed75; 10-19-2014 at 07:15 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I would have to dress it out with a Tour Pack and Fairing to make it a touring bike. I don't understand why Yamaha would dress up a 1300 but not the Road Star.
Lots of people dress the heck out the Roadstar, and it's commonly referred to as an Ultrastar. You're looking at maybe $2000 for top of the line trunk, hardbags and fairing.

Mine has entry level options of all those things, but I think you'd still have to refer to it as a bagger. I might like better accessories one day, but I'm extremely happy. I get 44-46 mpg typically, but on extended country cruises I have hit 52mpg multiple times.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode