Intake manifold question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Intake manifold question

I removed the AIS on my '03 today and installed the MaxAir plug kit. I thought while I had it partially apart that I'd go ahead and pull the carb and clean and re-jet it, too cold to ride anyway. When I pulled the tank I found several cracks in the manifold, most of them appear to be superficial, but a couple are pretty deep. I didn't see any evidence of leakage thru them even though it has backfired pretty bad. I did find that the vacuum line from the manifold to the AIS was rotten and cracked, could've been some of the problem, and one side of the reed valve in the AIS was sooted up really bad too. Anyway, the question is, have any of you Roadie owners had this problem? All help, and even a few snide comments are always welcomed.

'99 Bordeaux Red/Silver Royal Star Venture
Yamaha passing lamps
Kuryakyn grips
Yamaha tank bib
Show Chrome trunk rack
Utopia backrest
Mic mute
Dual Spectre "custom" air cleaner mod
Roadhouse slip-on mufflers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:59 PM

Test

A test that might help is while running the engine, spray some WD40 on the suspected cracks. If there is a change in speed it would be an indication of a leak. I have seen some posts of cracked intake.

Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. Yeah I did find that one of the cracks was all the way thru. I ordered a new one a few minutes ago, and I'm going to go ahead and clean/re-jet the carb while I've got it off. Santa has evidently been monitoring my web surfing too, (gotta watch that!), "she" asked if I'd like to have a Hypercharger for Christmas! Guess I'd better get that wish list finished, huh?

'99 Bordeaux Red/Silver Royal Star Venture
Yamaha passing lamps
Kuryakyn grips
Yamaha tank bib
Show Chrome trunk rack
Utopia backrest
Mic mute
Dual Spectre "custom" air cleaner mod
Roadhouse slip-on mufflers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:24 AM

This thread had been quiet for awhile so maybe it's Ok if I hijack it as I have the same question. I sprayed the area with carb cleaner as it idled and didn't notice any change in idle... But looking at the pics you can see why I was wondering.

I wanted to port but this makes me wonder if I should just think about buying a new ported unit.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 09:15 AM

Intake manifold question

Hello,
I too have an issue with my Intake manifold. I performed the Air box modification and when i was trying to put it back on i noticed the carb would pull out ie it moved around alot. Well I put the airbox back on and started it up and boy does it suck!!! I mean you can actually hear it sucking air in. I am still having the pause in the throttle when turned about a 1/4 of a turn it stumbles and then it revs up. It is a short pause and i can usually "feather" the throttle through it. It has been like this since i bought it used. Now after seeing yours (thanks for the pic) I feel that mine probably has the same problem. Soooo i guess i will spend another weekend pulling off the gas tank, pulling of the air cleaner and carb to check my manifold. While i am there i may just take my dremel tool to it and give it a little porting..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 11:29 AM

Garage
I personally don't think that the cracks in the manifold result in leaking. If there is a leak around your manifold it will be rather a bad vacuum hose ore the O-rings connection on the cylinder.
Mine has far more cracks and there is no leak and no backfire.

Doing it yourself give,s a lot of satisfaction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode