Opening the seat? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Opening the seat?

OK, I've had my 2006 RS Silverado 1700 since May, and I bought a battery tender for it. I've tried the key to open the seat but it won't open. Is there a trick to this or am I missing something???
Thanks for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 07:56 PM

There are escalating levels of nightmare for those seat releases. The first thing to do, is make sure you're working the key mechanism in the correct way. Turn the key left from the off position while making sure you're not pushing down. If you push down even the slightest, you might be heading towards the lock mode.

Once you're sure you're doing that move correctly, you can apply downward pressure on the front of the seat while turning the key left. Sometimes the release mechanism gets stuck and you need to pull on the release wire with a tool. Here's a writeup about how to make the tool: http://roadstarclinic.com/component/.../limitstart,0/

My particular flavor of seat nightmare happened because the bolts that hold the latch mechanism in place had come lose. This allowed me to move the key switch and get the seat "almost" off, but it wasn't budging the actual latch. I eventually took the bike to the shop and paid someone to get that seat off. It's was driving me insane. After that I just make sure to keep the latch well lubricated, use graphite dry lubricant in the ignition, and tighten up the latch bolts. Been smooth ever since that one problem.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 10:49 PM

I had the same issue. Turn the key to on. Then turn it back left while pulling up. Mine popped right open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 07:11 AM

Wait a minute...so the seat release is done through the ignition?

And here I was thinking the oil filter behind the pipe on an 1100 was Yamaha's only bone head move.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:48 PM

Mine is a nightmare and requires one person to operate the key while a second person puts their knee in the seat in just the right place to get the right pressure for the Corbin Dual Tour I put on. After much practice one person can do both things. The stock seat was easier but still a pita.

Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode