Buying an '04 Roadstar???? Questions??? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Buying an '04 Roadstar???? Questions???

Long story short, guy wants to do a partial trade of his '04 Roadstar on my truck. I'm kind of thinking about it because I already have an '03 Vstar 1100 but feel it is underpowered. Question, anything in particular to watch for when buying a Roadstar. How much more of a kick in the pants will the 1700 have compared to my 1100? BTW, the '04 has 35,000km. (21000 mi.) on it. Also has aftermarket exhaust, new brakes, rear tire and battery is less than 1 year old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 08:34 AM

Its like comparing apples to oranges. But more importantly its like going from lets say a camaro to a zo6 vette. The performace is noticable the draw back to me when I did it was the rev limiter kicks in at 4500 on the bigger bike. I found a dyna ignition cheaply and changed that its a beast now. First gear before that was quick. Like twist the throttle and shift quick. Other than that its more roomie for me and the wife. I needed extension on my 1100 I don't on my roadstar. The wife feels more comfortable as well on the back.

It handles a little better to me as well and the weight is comparable to the 1100.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Barman. 4500 seems really low RPM, I think I read the 1100 limiter is set for 6000 or higher and it doesn't really pull hard until it reaches about 4000-4500 and then hang on. Have been trying to find some specs on the Road Star but not having much luck. Was concerned about the weight but you say it's comparable to the 1100 which is #650 wet. Any common issues with the Road Star, such as the gas gauge problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:43 AM

The gauge comes and goes but you should look for fuel around 170 miles (differs from bike to bike). The main pully nut has a tendency to back off but its easy to check and re tighten. The way the rear fender mounts it really shakes, they call it the R* wag. This can cause the rear fender to crack. The ride is awesome so these are some minor things that can be put up with and or fixed. For really in depth R* info go join the roadstarclinic.com best forum around for R* owners. Every bit of tech you would want to know about it will be on there.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

derailed: Is the crack in the rear fender obvious or do you have to remove parts to see it?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking897 View Post
derailed: Is the crack in the rear fender obvious or do you have to remove parts to see it?
IDK has not happened to me. You can go to the tech section of the roadstarclinic and I am sure you can find that info along with numerous fixes for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode