Drive pulley nut loose - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Drive pulley nut loose

If anyone hears a faint grinding sound coming from the left side of their Road Star while coasting before a stop, check it out ASAP. When I noticed the sound I pulled off the pulley cover and took a visual . Everything looked fine . I put my hand on the drive pulley and checked for looseness And low and behold , the unit was loose . The lock washer barley held the nut from coming off. The lock washer had a section missing from rubbing on loose unite. I replaced the lock washer with a new one and used a 36mm socket and torqued it to 61 foot pounds while locking down the rear wheel with the break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 03:10 AM

I have an 05 Warrior and it has had the front pulley nut come loose once. It is suppose to be torqued to 72 ft.lbs but the guys on the RSWarrior forum says that is a typo in the manual and to torque it to 100 ft.lbs, but i only went to 90 ft.lbs and it has not come loose since. I have the nut and washer with the tabs that bend over to secure the nut. The tabs were still bent over and holding the nut but it came loose anyway, haven't figured that out yet but like i said, it is still tight and holding for a couple of years now after i torqued it to the 90 ft.lbs. I don't know what the Road Stars pulley nut looks like but you might see if the 61 ft.lbs of torque is the correct torque, as stated in your manual.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

I got the torque poundage from my Yamaha factory repair manual. The 36 mm nut is unusual , it is super light as if made out of aluminum . And the lock washer has splines on the I.D. That goes over the splines on the shaft. Is yours similar ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman View Post
I got the torque poundage from my Yamaha factory repair manual. The 36 mm nut is unusual , it is super light as if made out of aluminum . And the lock washer has splines on the I.D. That goes over the splines on the shaft. Is yours similar ?
Yes, it seems like the same nut and washer mine has. The Road Star and the Warrior are pretty close when it comes to the motor.
I will go over to the Road Star Clinic and check out what they are torquing their front pulley nut to, just out of curiousity. The loose pulley nut problem is notorious on the 02-05 Warriors.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Let me know what you find out . Thanks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman View Post
Let me know what you find out . Thanks
They torque the nut to 61 ft.lbs, use red loctight, and bend both tabs down onto the nut. That's all i could find there. Hope it helps you out.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot brother . If you need any specs or anything from my factory manual , Give me a shout .
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

It's been awhile since I took care of the loose nut issue. This morning I popped off the cover to check the tightness on the drive pulley nut and it's doing fine...... So far. I degreased the threads with alcohal and laid down a large amount of blue lock tight ( after I set the lock washer in the right position. ) torqued the nut to 61 lbs and let lock tight dry.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 08:22 AM

Glad it's working out for you so far. A lot of people recommend red Loctite though. That's a high torque application and it's a part that pretty rarely get loosened intentionally.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

The only bad part about red loctiite is you have to heat up a part to remove a bolt or nut. If you don't use heat the theads get ripped up pretty bad. And these nuts are made of soft material. I used a blue locking gel called Vibra - Tite from ND industries . It's for threads up to 3/4 inch thread diameters , but it holds up great on larger threads too. I use this stuff on my Harley hardware where vibration is an issue .... Stuff shaking loose .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode