Speedometer Error - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Speedometer Error

So today I took my new Road Star out to get some more break-in miles under the wheels and I brought my Garmin along so I could check the Speedometer. My old V-Star 1300 was off by 5 mph and I fixed that with a changeover to a larger diameter tire and a 31T front pulley.
It would appear that I may have to do the same with this bike. I'm 5mph off at cruising speeds of 70mph. So I set the throttle lock at 70 and I check my Garmin and I'm only doing 65. How is it that in 2015 ,after Yamaha has been building these bikes for the past 15 years, they still can't get something as simple as a speedometer to work right? Since cruising speed in Texas is anywhere from 75 to 80 mph I have to set my speedometer to 80 just to be cruising at 75 actual.
So the question is: from what I gather the older bikes shipped with a 33T front pulley but in 2003/4 they changed to a 32T pulley. Why would they put in a bigger engine and then reduce the gear ratio? Does my 2013 come with the 32T pulley and if so does anyone have a 33T they would want to sell me?

R Brown
U.S. Army Medical Corp SFC (Ret)
2013 Road Star Silverado
[URL="[URL=http://s224.photobucket.com/user/ms14796/media/Russ_Silverado.jpg.html][IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 07:58 AM
Banned

I guess before I changed any gearing, I'd decide whether or not I was happy with the way the bike rides and pulls. I put a SpeedoDrd on my Raider to correct the speedometer. I wouldn't change the performance of my bike to fix the speedometer. Just my $0.02.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84a View Post
I guess before I changed any gearing, I'd decide whether or not I was happy with the way the bike rides and pulls. I put a SpeedoDrd on my Raider to correct the speedometer. I wouldn't change the performance of my bike to fix the speedometer. Just my $0.02.
I would agree. My 99 Victory and the Yamaha 1100 are the ONLY motorcycles I've ever owned that had an accurate speedo. Once you know the error via GPS I really dont see it as any big deal but thats just me.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

That's partially the issue...but think about it; your riding along thinking your driving the speed limit when you're actually going slower. So for me to ride at 75 I'm having to run 80 on the speedo. That also means I'm running higher RPM which eventually cuts into my mileage. So going up one tooth isn't going to radically change anything except slightly lower cruising RIM and fix speedometer error.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 12:59 PM

How do you know your GPS is correct? I have 2, different manufacturers.They don't match each other or my speedo.
Maybe try a stop watch and mile markers?
Is the problem the same say at 55?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms14796 View Post
How is it that in 2015 ,after Yamaha has been building these bikes for the past 15 years, they still can't get something as simple as a speedometer to work right?
government regulations. all modern production cruisers have their speedos dialed up 10% versus actual speed.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 05:38 PM

To me its much ado about nothing. I rarely look down at the speedo anyway. I usually base my speed off of the other traffic. When I am on a road alone I will glance down at it and as long as I am close I dont worry about it. So if it tells me I am going 5mph faster than I really am, so what.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 07:09 PM

I`d like my speedo to be accurate but it`s not that big a deal. Like was said, how do we know that the GPS speed is accurate? My main reason for a correct speedo is for to guard against a speeding ticket.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
I`d like my speedo to be accurate but it`s not that big a deal. Like was said, how do we know that the GPS speed is accurate? My main reason for a correct speedo is for to guard against a speeding ticket.
Funny. That's the same reason I'm glad that I'm actually running a little slower than the speedo.

Just like setting a clock 5 minutes fast doesn't help if I do the subtraction in my head, I just take my display at face value and keep myself out of trouble. It's not like I keep it at the posted speed limit anyway.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

I've been using my Garmin for a while in different cages. During a trip to Biloxi I noticed the speedometer and GPS were spot on so I'm fairly confident it's accurate. I'm a daily rider so I not only ride to work every day but on weekends I travel with the HOG group for breakfast runs. As you know Harley owners like to ride fast. I just know that with my V-star 1300, anytime I pushed 80 to keep up with 75mph highway traffic my fuel mileage tanked because I was pushing close to 4000 RPM. Besides as I stated before, it's Texas and everything is fast and towns are spread out in the west so fuel mileage is really important out here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode