polishing advice - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

polishing advice

when the weather gets a bit warmer i was thinking of buffing and polishing and waxing my whole bike it has a buncha scratches on the tank and the bags due to constant riding and my girlfriend always kicking the bags with her boots while getting on and off.

i have a dewalt variable speed 7inch buffer that works wonders on boats (yes ive done many boats and polished loads of fiberglass) but ive never done any bikes, any suggestions on compounds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 07:51 AM

I don't have enough experience to offer any useful help on the polishing, but I share your issue of, "passenger".......If I said girlfriend, she may know I was talking about her kicking the bags and I've learned it's not a good thing to point out So I did my rubbing compound by hand, because I don't have your experience with a power polisher and have heard stories of rubbing through the paint. It worked really well and now I'm ready to add some protection. I will post the process with photos and we'll see how it turns out, but I'm using a 3M product called, "Paint Defender." It's a spray on film that can be peeled off if needed. I tried the 3M adhesive film, and it looks really good, but I was not able to match the contours of the saddlebags so I had to use multiple smaller patches. In the end, I hope to have the scuffs and scratches be on the film and not on my paint......and said passenger will not have to admit to any theoretical guilt.....Good luck....saddlebags & girlfriends may ride in peace !

Don
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 09:05 AM

I have "restored" the finish in many autos, so I know a little but I'm not a pro. I have brought an '87 BMW 5-Series from chalky grey to the deepest black I have ever seen on a non-show car. A lot of that was the quality of the OEM paint job, but it was SOOOO trashed when I bought it. This was years ago, 2004?, but the process is the same.

I bought two steps of the maguires 3-step system, a clay bar, and Klasse glaze. Didn't use the Maquires wax though (their Step-3).

Start by Clay barring it. Simple to do...spray the lubricant and wipe the play do-like Clay bar over the paint. You'll actually hear and feel it as you gently wipe it over the paint, then you won't...that means you have removed all the crap out of the paint pores. Knead, or fold it frequently, and it it touches anything dirty (you drop it), then throw it away! For this reason, I always break the bar in half, and keep one half in a ziplock bag...that way if I drop it, I save $10 and a trip to the autozone...just use my backup half.

Step 1- cleaner wax. This is where most of the work is on a car, a bike will take no time. Do a good job here and the rest is gravy. This will remove dead paint that is oxidized.

Step2- polish. Think of polish like lotion on dry skin. It will drink this stuff up and deepen the paint unbelievably! This is the key to a great finish, NOT the wax, which only protects.

Step3- here's where I change things up and use the Klasse Glaze. A glaze is like a super-thin plastic coating which seals the paint and protects it from all kinds of nasty stuff. Put it on SUPER THIN. A bottle will do a Walmart parking lot full of cars! Lol

Step 4- wax of your choice. Can be carnauba, best shine but doesn't last long OR synthetic, okay shine (reflectivity) but lasts much much longer. I've used many. California Gold (Mothers?) is a good one, Zymol is good, etc. My current choice is Poorboy's Nattys Paste Carnuba wax. A little goes a LONG way and is comes off super easy.

Each step gets easier because you are dealing with a harder, smoother, better nourished paint job after each step.

Good luck!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Midnight
-K&N open top
-IVAN's ECU
-PC3USB
-V&H Pipes
-Mustang Seats
-Engine Guard w/ISO Pegs
-ISO shifter & brake covers
-Pirelli Night Dragons
-OEM psngr floorboards (modded Carbon Fiber)
-Custom saddlebag luggage
-Custom Driver seatback
-Custom Tour Box
-Powder coated license plate surround, windshield hardware, and shift linkage

Last edited by Radarcontact; 02-19-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Don View Post
I don't have enough experience to offer any useful help on the polishing, but I share your issue of, "passenger".......If I said girlfriend, she may know I was talking about her kicking the bags and I've learned it's not a good thing to point out So I did my rubbing compound by hand, because I don't have your experience with a power polisher and have heard stories of rubbing through the paint. It worked really well and now I'm ready to add some protection. I will post the process with photos and we'll see how it turns out, but I'm using a 3M product called, "Paint Defender." It's a spray on film that can be peeled off if needed. I tried the 3M adhesive film, and it looks really good, but I was not able to match the contours of the saddlebags so I had to use multiple smaller patches. In the end, I hope to have the scuffs and scratches be on the film and not on my paint......and said passenger will not have to admit to any theoretical guilt.....Good luck....saddlebags & girlfriends may ride in peace !

Don
now thats funny man, i would honestly rather not put any "film" ontop of the bags as it would take away from the look of the bike, however something needs to be done as every single time the passenger gets on my teeth cringe as i watch my bags get scratched up more and more, i do understand why it happens thou as the harley bags sit a big higher then the standard OEM bags, they are tall to begin with and with the custom brackets i had to raise them a bit so that my pipes dont melt them.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radarcontact View Post
I have "restored" the finish in many autos, so I know a little but I'm not a pro. I have brought an '87 BMW 5-Series from chalky grey to the deepest black I have ever seen on a non-show car. A lot of that was the quality of the OEM paint job, but it was SOOOO trashed when I bought it. This was years ago, 2004?, but the process is the same.

I bought two steps of the maguires 3-step system, a clay bar, and Klasse glaze. Didn't use the Maquires wax though (their Step-3).

Start by Clay barring it. Simple to do...spray the lubricant and wipe the play do-like Clay bar over the paint. You'll actually hear and feel it as you gently wipe it over the paint, then you won't...that means you have removed all the crap out of the paint pores. Knead, or fold it frequently, and it it touches anything dirty (you drop it), then throw it away! For this reason, I always break the bar in half, and keep one half in a ziplock bag...that way if I drop it, I save $10 and a trip to the autozone...just use my backup half.

Step 1- cleaner wax. This is where most of the work is on a car, a bike will take no time. Do a good job here and the rest is gravy. This will remove dead paint that is oxidized.

Step2- polish. Think of polish like lotion on dry skin. It will drink this stuff up and deepen the paint unbelievably! This is the key to a great finish, NOT the wax, which only protects.

Step3- here's where I change things up and use the Klasse Glaze. A glaze is like a super-thin plastic coating which seals the paint and protects it from all kinds of nasty stuff. Put it on SUPER THIN. A bottle will do a Walmart parking lot full of cars! Lol

Step 4- wax of your choice. Can be carnauba, best shine but doesn't last long OR synthetic, okay shine (reflectivity) but lasts much much longer. I've used many. California Gold (Mothers?) is a good one, Zymol is good, etc. My current choice is Poorboy's Nattys Paste Carnuba wax. A little goes a LONG way and is comes off super easy.

Each step gets easier because you are dealing with a harder, smoother, better nourished paint job after each step.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice man, ive used maguires before and honestly wasnt impressed with the results for the price.

ive polished many cars and removed many scratches on the enthusiast level (non professional) with great results using the chemical guys v36 and v38 compound which is obviously not something you can pick up at your local autozone. i just never went all out on a bike.

my previous bike was a 2009 vstar which is now resting in peace in some junkyard after falling apart into about 200 parts on i95 last year, i had her professionally detailed and she looked great but there is no way in hell im shelling out another 500 bux to get that done again.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worior1 View Post
Thanks for the advice man, ive used maguires before and honestly wasnt impressed with the results for the price.

ive polished many cars and removed many scratches on the enthusiast level (non professional) with great results using the chemical guys v36 and v38 compound which is obviously not something you can pick up at your local autozone. i just never went all out on a bike.

my previous bike was a 2009 vstar which is now resting in peace in some junkyard after falling apart into about 200 parts on i95 last year, i had her professionally detailed and she looked great but there is no way in hell im shelling out another 500 bux to get that done again.
Well, I have about $150 worth of "high-end" products from detail shop retailers as well...but I didn't want to go there, here, because a bike has such little paint to correct, I couldn't see recommending those products because of price. I was, however, able to do what I said with the products I mentioned; as a disclaimer I'd say that people should feel free to substitute same-type products (polish for polish, etc.). YMMV, so just don't hold me responsible. ;-)
I would recommend sticking with a very high quality glaze, however, and the Klasse is exactly that.

Also, this is just my own personal "formula for success"...again YMMV.

// Radar //

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Midnight
-K&N open top
-IVAN's ECU
-PC3USB
-V&H Pipes
-Mustang Seats
-Engine Guard w/ISO Pegs
-ISO shifter & brake covers
-Pirelli Night Dragons
-OEM psngr floorboards (modded Carbon Fiber)
-Custom saddlebag luggage
-Custom Driver seatback
-Custom Tour Box
-Powder coated license plate surround, windshield hardware, and shift linkage
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

you can give two people identical products and have two completely different results as i said any advice is always apreciated
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 03:43 PM

Go to autogeek.net. You will learn more about detailing than you ever wanted to. I hate to say it but, unless I read it wrong, if you paid $500 for a bike detail someone took you to the cleaners. You can get a full paint correction and interior detail on an SUV at most places for that amount of money.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worior1 View Post
now thats funny man, i would honestly rather not put any "film" ontop of the bags as it would take away from the look of the bike.
3 M makes amazing products. I put a large piece of the film on one saddlebag and honestly you cannot see it. It's what they use to bra cars and I don't think it looks any different. I understand the concern. I'll photo it as I do the spray on....we'll see. You Tube has a couple of detailers applying it, I hope I can do as well as they did.

I'm already riding, but I need to get this done before, "you know who" goes with me. I rubbed out the scratches and I don't want to start over !

Best of luck.

Don
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

i ride year round and the weather has already been good enough for the "lets go for a ride" topic, i would deff like to see how it turns out as well all know that the product demo videos rarely translate into reality once you actually start the project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode