Road Star 1700 vs V star 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Road Star 1700 vs V star 1100

I think I'm suffering from ccitis. lol. Not really, just thinking about stepping up. I have an '03 V star 1100 and really like this bike. It fits me great and I can throw it around with ease in the twistys or ride it all day. What I'm looking for is someone who has made the jump up from an 1100 (or comparable) to the 1700. Was it an easy transition? How much heavier was the RS? Could you handle it as well as the 1100? Or any other info you may have.

Edit: I should maybe add, I'm 5'8" and have a bum left knee (surgery was a bust) which was a major part of the reason I switched from a '84 Goldwing to the V star. Knee is improving (should after almost 3 years) and stronger now.

Last edited by skyking897; 03-31-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 09:37 PM

I bought a 650 and put about 4,000 miles on it the first month. What I was really longing for was lower rpms. The size and power of the Roadstar was appealing, but 3,000 rpms at 70mph was what really appealed to me. Then I stumbled on a great deal on one that I couldn't pass up.

In all honesty, it felt way too big for the first couple of weeks. It was sluggish in the turns, I was wobbly and felt top heavy and worried I had made the wrong choice, but I just kept riding.

The key turning point was learning to use the weight of the bike to my advantage and dance with it. The VStar was so light I could use my arms to throw it around in turns, but it was exhausting trying to do that with the Roadie.

I'm 5'9" and the transition came pretty fast, but what really made a breakthrough for me was the 4" Baron's kickback risers and a windshield that sat at nose level. Stock risers and a 21" windshield made me feel like i was a kid riding my dad's bike. Now that she's dialed in for me, I love that bike. Put 15,000 on Roadstars last year and a couple thousand already this year. I no longer dream of another bike. I just dream about how I want to customize this one.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Ok, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Sort of what I remember when I switched from a 750 Honda to the Goldwing. Appreciate the info, thanks.
On a different note, got a envy thing going on here, our season hasn't really started yet even though I've been out a couple of times. In fact we had a couple of inchs of snow yesterday. Supposed to be 50-60F today and tomorrow so maybe riding season is here.
Again thanks for the comparison, much appreciated.

'02 Road Star
Vance & Hines exhaust
K&N Air Filter
Stage 1

'03 V Star 1100 Classic
'68 BSA 650
Several 350 & 750 Hondas
'84 Goldwing
'03 Yamaha Grizzly 660
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 05:31 PM

Never rode the 1100 , but my precious bikes were c50 , S83 both Suzuki and last, Vstar 1300. For me riding my new 2013 Road * is just as easy as any of the other 3. And while I liked all 3 of them I prefer the Road Star. Only time I notice the weight difference is when I`m physically pushing the bike, which I have to do to get it out of my garage and turned around.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 03:14 PM

I had a similar situation with the exception that I had both a V-star 1300 and a Nomad 1600. The V-star is a short stroke V-twin that revs high so it makes gobs of HP (77) and it shows going down the road. The Nomad has a longer stroke like the RS so it's a bit more sedate. If I were riding two up I elected to take the 1300 due to the lower (668lbs) vs the Nomad (778). Both rode well on the highway but at some point you have to stop.
Now for the good news...the RS (even having the same weight as Nomad) is designed with a lower seat and center of gravity. Because of that it is an easier bike to maneuver on the ground and I'm only 5'7". As soon as I got the bike home I drilled the exhaust and modified the intake to a ram air. This past week I installed a set of Saddlemen Gel Seats and the first thing I noticed is the saddle puts me lower into the bike instead of feeling on top of the bike. I sit at a more comfortable position as well with my feet a bit forward on the foot rest. Now I can think about installing highway pegs since my feet will reach. This bike is very well balanced and you can throw it into curves with no worry. I've already scrapped the floor board more than once. More than that it is a very nimble bike considering the weight. It will take a week or so to get comfortable with the difference in engine HP and gearing since it will have longer legs and you will have to change when you shift. If your under 30mph you will stay is third gear, From 40 up to about 55, 4th.
My RS was brand new 2013 with no miles so my first 1000 miles I thought the bike was a dog. Just didn't seem to have any go power. After changing out the break-in oil with a synthetic 10-40W. I immediately noticed an improvement and with the air cleaner mod I definitely see an improvement.

R Brown
U.S. Army Medical Corp SFC (Ret)
2013 Road Star Silverado
[URL="[URL=http://s224.photobucket.com/user/ms14796/media/Russ_Silverado.jpg.html][IMG]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Only time I notice the weight difference is when I`m physically pushing the bike, which I have to do to get it out of my garage and turned around.
That's my concern because of my knee problem. My Goldwing was over 800lbs and after wrestling it out of the garage and turning it around my knee was throbbing. But, and there's always a but, 10 minutes after hitting the road I wasn't thinking about my knee.

'02 Road Star
Vance & Hines exhaust
K&N Air Filter
Stage 1

'03 V Star 1100 Classic
'68 BSA 650
Several 350 & 750 Hondas
'84 Goldwing
'03 Yamaha Grizzly 660
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:09 AM

The road star is around 700 lbs.. and it is definitely a chore to move around. The bike is very wide so for someone like me standing at 5 10 that made it slightly more difficult. Once the bike is up right, like most Japanese cruisers it is very neutral. It does not feel like it will just fall over but it is hard to move around.

I can't say all of that for for the vstar. On the other hand when it comes to long distance cruising the road star is probably more capable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode