Front Brake Light Switch Fix - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Front Brake Light Switch Fix

I just purchased a 2000 Roadstar this weekend. 25K miles and in excellent shape. I noticed the brake light was not coming on when pulling only the front brake lever. Worked fine with the rear brake pedal. I pulled the front brake light switch and was measuring over 5MOhms in the normally closed (without button pushed) position. I looked online and found a replacement in the UK for $9.95+shipping but decided to see if I could somehow fix it. Here is what I did.

1. Removed the switch by removing a single screw.
2. Switch has a plastic body with two sides that are pressed together. I carefully scored the seem with a razor blade just to get a slit for a thin regular screwdriver head.
3. I used a small thin regular screwdriver head and carefully hammered it in, wedging it between the two plastic body sides. I continued to work my way around the switch body until I was able to pop the top off of the switch.
4. BE CARFUL not to lose the small plastic button of the switch.
5. Once you get it apart you will see where there is carbon build-up on the contacts.
6. Place a small amount of electrical grease on the contacts and use a wire brush to remove the carbon build up.
7. Place a small amount of electrical grease on the outside connectors and use a wire brush to remove any carbon build up.
8. Use an Ohm meter to check the continuity without the pushbutton depressed. You should get a short (close to 0 Ohms).
9. Use an Ohm meter to check the continuity with the push button depressed. You should now get an open (100MOhms or higher).
10. Ensure the pushbutton is placed properly and carefully press the body back together.
11. Re-install the switch on the front brake lever arm and test.

Should work as good as new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 07:43 AM
eGo

Nice Writeup.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 12:24 PM

Bravo. A man after my own heart. Too few people these days are not willing to do their own work to fix or repair their stuff. Most just throw it away and buy new. I'm old school where you fix or improvise when possible. Congrats on finding the problem and getting working again.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

I like tinkering with stuff...especially old electro/mechanical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode