Roadstar Champion Trike Kit Brake Light Out - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Roadstar Champion Trike Kit Brake Light Out

I recently purchased a 2000 Roadstar with a Champion trike kit. It is in great shape, but noticed the left teardrop break light is not working. Right one works fine. Running lamp and turn signal work fine on both sides. I moved it to the other side to see if it was wiring, but the light does not work at either location. I concluded I have an issue with the light, which seemed like a good thing...

I found a small 90 degree screwdriver and was able to get to the three screws in the wheel well off without removing the tire. I was able to get the light off the bike after some tight space work. This is apparently an LED teardrop triple-operation light because the back does not come off (no screws or anything.) I searched all over the web but could not find any recommended repair instructions or a alternative replacement. I contacted Champion and they are $156 + shipping!

Has anyone else had this issue? Ideas?
Has anyone attempted to cut the back off of the light (it appears to be glued in place) and fix one of these or similar LED light?

I guess since I know I can get a new one from Champion, I could tear into this thing and see if I can find a loose wire, solder joint, or something else. Before I break this thing, has anyone had any experience with this or a similar LED light that can give me some pointers?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Ok. This weekend I am going to take this thing off and see if I can fix without breaking it. If it goes well, I will post my solution. If it goes bad, I will post what not do do...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 12:45 PM

Good luck. And since it doesn't work anyway you won't be breakin it.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Fixed Champion Trike kit tail light

Today I tore into the teardrop taillight that was not working on my champion trike kit.

1. remove the three screws that are inside the fender (need a small 90 degree Philips screwdriver.) Unplug the two connectors and check the connectors for any lose or cut wires. I found one, but it did not complete fix the problem.

2. Remove the screws holding the chrome frame to the light.

2. black back is glued onto the lens. I used a very thin micro flat head screwdriver to work my way around the edge and was able to slowly pry the lens off of the back. It is completely sealed with a silicone glue that breaks free with some patience. Remove all glue from black back and lens.

3. After opening it up I found one of the two screws holding the circuit board to the lens had come out and was bouncing around the inside. I removed the other screw from the LED side to expose the back of the circuit board. I found two wires broke and one resistor broke. I replaced the resistor (they are 68 Ohm) with a 62 Ohm from RadioShack (did not have a 68 Ohm), soldered the new resistor on, and soldered the broken wires. I also found a loose wire at the connector and fixed that too (mentioned above).

4. I mounted the circuit board back to the lens and went back to the bike to test before putting it back to together. lights, brake, and turn signal all worked!

5. I used a craft glue gun with silicone glue and re-glued the back to the lens.

6. Mounted the chrome edge using the micro Philips.

7. Reconnected the two connectors to the trike and used the 90 degree Philips to mount back on he trike

Works like new! Cost me ~$2.50 to purchase a package of resistors. Saved about $180 (light is $155 + ~$25 shipping to order a new one from Champion.)

Tools needed for this job...Small soldering iron, solder, flux, micro screwdrivers (Phillips for the small screws and standard to pry the lens off the back), small Phillips (to remove frame screws), 90 degree Philips (to get between the back tire and fender to remove tail light from trike), wire cutter, wire stripper.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 09:19 PM

Good job! Nice when you can beat the odds and win. I've put a new battery in a Tiny Tach twice over the years. Sealed unit not meant to be taken apart! If only I could change the cylinder firing on it, I would have it on the Road Star.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 12:13 PM

Bravo! That's the way ya do it.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode