Tranny Problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Tranny Problem

I posted this question in the intro forum yesterday, but want to make sure it gets visibility in the right place. I have an 04 Road Star that is DOA. Transmission started jumping out of gear on hard launches. Then eventually degraded to jumping out of gear in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Anybody else know of this issue. Does engine have to be removed to fix? How hard is engine removal? Dealer wants $1200-1500. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 06:28 AM

I was hoping someone with that bike would jump in. Generally, transmission problems involve removing the engine and transmission from the bike and splitting the cases for inspection. It will involve a lot of labor hours, and until that is done you will have no idea of the number and cost of parts. You can be assured that the dealership will not have the parts in stock, so you might be in for a long wait on back orders. Hope you have a backup bike for the rest of the summer.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
I was hoping someone with that bike would jump in.
Same here. I was thinking possibly worn shift fork (or, rather, Google was) but have no experience with the repair.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 07:09 PM

If the original poster is incredibly lucky, the problem might be in the external shift indexing parts, which should be accessible from the outside.

Since there are said to be at least three gears involved, I'd say there are at least two shift forks or their dog clutches involved. If the dog clutches are worn, the slots in the gears into which they mesh are probably worn too. I sure hope the fun of all those hard launches offset the expense of the repairs.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for input

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check manual for external shifter access. I do believe it's the indexing system. When I say hard launches, I don't abuse my bikes but I do like to get moving quickly - no smoke. Luckily I have a backup or two.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 06:36 AM

Garage
tranny

Do check with Yamaha first as the early Road Star's has had a tranny recall. They should be able
to tell you by the vin# if this recall has been fixed on your bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode