Need clutch help here - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Need clutch help here

My 01 Roadie clutch slips when I gas her in 4th or 5th on the hwy. Fine on take offs and in town. Running Valvoline full synthetic 10w40, states it's for wet clutch applications. Stock clutch.

Last edited by Hwystar; 08-04-2015 at 09:15 PM. Reason: bold the title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 01:20 PM

Garage
It's probably the OEM clutch spring which probably needs to be replaced. Barnett makes a clutch spring conversion kit(SR-2). I changed quite some time ago and it solved my problem. You could try a cheaper solution and change the type of oil and see if that solves the problem, but I suspect your clutch spring needs to be replaced. I would start with these options as a solution. Good luck!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I feel that you are on the money. That's the direction I'm going with Barnett clutches also. I have been around the block a few times with the clutch, I just ask in case someone has come up with something different. I come from the po' boys school of keepin' em running and I gotta get away from that mindset. : ) Can't always make new parts out of old ones ! : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

my clutch just recently started slipping and the consensus is the friction plates need to be replaced. if you're gonna open up your clutch, definitely take a look at the plates for any excessive wear or damage.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 09:56 AM

It's not your friction plates, it's the weak spring washer they call the diaphragm. Don't waste your time on any other solution to this problem, like stacking 2 weak worn out springs, or changing to a different type of oil.

When you buy the Barnett kit listed above, your problems will be solved. The key thing to remember is when tightening the bolts, to use an Inch/Pound torque wrench. The 6 bolts holding everthing are not real strong. This is a common ailment of the Road Star, but an equally easy and permanent repair. Fix & forget.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 12:33 PM

4NK-16334-00-00 YAMAHA SPRING,CLUTCH 2. brand new $60.00 i don't know if the roadie is stackable, i doubled my 1100 spring and works excellant,got one off an 86 virago lol
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 11:13 AM

I would not recommend double stacking the diaphragm washers, it's a hill billy repair, and the barnett clutch kit is a complete fix and forget.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 12:24 PM

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 07:17 AM

Just because some other people stack 2 washers doesn't make it right. The whole diaphragm setup on the Roadie is weak, and the Barnett kit is a drop in replacement.

The double washer setup reminds me of the saying "never enough time to do it right, but plenty of time to do it twice". As always, it's your bike, so do as you wish.

My .02 - Gadget
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:26 AM

Slips after new discs and spring

I have installed and removed replacement friction discs twice on my Road Star trying to get the bike to lock up like stock. The EBC kit came with a ninth discs that wasn't the same as the other discs so I left it out. I took 8 out and put 8 in. The new and old discs are within a 1/10th of a mm in thickness. So, with 8 discs there is almost a full mm give or take. The steels have very little wear. Then I read here on the forum that the wrong oil can make the wet clutch act like its bad. I thought I used V-twin specific Amsoil on the last change. If that's not it I'm going to try double springing it. Boy, if was oil I'm going to feel stupid. But my buddy is running the same oil in his new Harley and he hasn't had any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode