Front Pulley nut information - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Front Pulley nut information

Ok as previously posted in HELP!! I stated there was a small leak on the left side pulley cover...So last night I fully removed the cover and verified the pulley nut is looks and this is the source of the oil leaking.

NOW, just need a few inputs on how to fix this...
A) Do I need to change the seal now as well?
B) Do I need to loosen the belt tension?
C) What do I torque the nut to after applying Loctite?
D) Any other helpful hints or things I missed?

Thanks a lot all in advance this will be the first real thing other than fluid changes I have attempted on the motorcycle and still learning. I am a diesel mechanic so I am mechanical, just never worked on any motorcycles before..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 07:17 AM

You will most likely eventually get the answers you seek from other posters but I will make the suggestion to get your hands on a repair manual. It will detail everything you have already asked in both threads. Also checkout the roadstar forum. Sorry I don't have a direct link. Tons of info there directly for the roadie.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Well everyone I need some more help...Reading along in other forums I am now scared there may be more damage and work than just a simple retorque... Can anyone help me out and tell me how to check the bearings behind there or what to look for ??? Any play or whatever I need to check?? There was a lot of fluid leaked along with some red powder like material in it?

Should I be worried or just retorque and hope the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Well, I think tonight I am going to clean everything under the cover the pulley etc...Then remove the nut and add red Loctite, then retoqrue it to 61 ft lbs...So hopefully I don't need a new seal or new bearings or anything else that go on the backside of the pulley...

If anyone thinks thats wrong or could cause damage please speak now so I know not to do it after work haha...

Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 09:28 AM

If the shaft seal behind the pulley is leaking then all the locktite and torque you want on the nut isn't going to stop the seal from leaking.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

So you think that it's not just the nut being loose causing the leak? The actual seal is bad?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 02:12 PM

I had the same problem with my 05 R* last fall. I took it to a local shop and had them replace the seal and re-torque the nut. They also said the belt was tensioned too tight. So with that said I'd replace the seal just to be on the safe side and to prevent having to
go thru all the labor again should it still leak. Don't forget to check the belt tension and
to check the final drive lube level too. Good luck.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Well last night I took the cover off decided to fully clean inside so no more trace of leak and then I torqued the nut but I didn't Loctite it yet.. After talking with a motorcycle mechanic he said the leak could be just from it being loose and not necessarily a bad seal.. So it is now really clean in there and now that its torqued I drew a paint line so I can see if it backs off again.. In a few days I will remove the cover again and see if still leaking, if so I will break down and replace the seal and then Loctite the nut on..

Thanks again everyone for the comments and tips..I have also sent in to join the roadstarclinic forum since they also have a lot of good info.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 08:45 AM

Road Star Clinic

Thanks again everyone for the comments and tips..I have also sent in to join the roadstarclinic forum since they also have a lot of good info.[/QUOTE]

Did you have any luck? I have sent a few requests, I guess they just dont like me. lol
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Nope no luck...They must not like me either haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode