2000 Roadstar Cutting off - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2000 Roadstar Cutting off

I recently received a 2000 Roadstar 1600 and it needs a little work. Right now I am working on getting it to stay running when it is placed in gear.

I have already bypassed the clutch safety and kickstand safety. It doesn't clunk when going into gear just cuts off like the kickstand is down. If I try to start it with it in gear it will surge forward a little if the clutch isn't pulled in.

I have downloaded the manual and printed out the tests for the relay near the turn signal relay. It was replaced with a used one but not sure if it was any good.

The bike has a Dyna 3000 on it also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok. Just tested the relay and it passed all of the tests so it isn't bad. I am at a loss right now.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw2212 View Post
I recently received a 2000 Roadstar 1600 and it needs a little work. Right now I am working on getting it to stay running when it is placed in gear.

I have already bypassed the clutch safety and kickstand safety. It doesn't clunk when going into gear just cuts off like the kickstand is down. If I try to start it with it in gear it will surge forward a little if the clutch isn't pulled in.

I have downloaded the manual and printed out the tests for the relay near the turn signal relay. It was replaced with a used one but not sure if it was any good.

The bike has a Dyna 3000 on it also.
Just confirming the clutch safety is the plug below the clutch lever? Mine had worked loose after internally wiring my handlebars, and I had the same problem. Cleaned the plug area, reinserted and no more issues. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah that one has been bypassed. I am scratching my head. I have talked to a few bike mechanics and they are thinking it has to be electrical somewhere, its just tracing it out that will be a bear.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 03:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw2212 View Post
Yeah that one has been bypassed. I am scratching my head. I have talked to a few bike mechanics and they are thinking it has to be electrical somewhere, its just tracing it out that will be a bear.
With those two switches bypassed, i don't understand why it wouldn't be good. Man that sucks...good luck with the hunt! Let us know when you get it and what was causing it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update. I guess I kinda made progress today. I checked the bypassed stuff and disconnected each bypass and it behaved as if the switch were still there. I decided to take the*battery*out and check the wires in the left side cover. Got hot since I am working on it in direct sunlight so I put it back together. I decided to try it one more time. It started in neutral so I pulled the clutch in and put it in first. Since my brain was a little warm it took a second to realize it was still running. So I back it up and let out the clutch. I got it turned around before it died. Then it was back to starting in neutral but as soon as you put it in gear it would die.*

I guess I am calling this a half step forward. Now was it a wire under the left side cover or was it having the*battery*disconnected and then put back in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode