1700 Roadstar Michelin Commander II front tire? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

1700 Roadstar Michelin Commander II front tire?

I'm wondering if anyone has installed a Michelin Commander II tire on the front of their Roadstar? Comments, issues? I ran them on the C50 and was satisfied. Not sure about it on the heavier Roadstar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 06:40 PM

I just put Commander IIs on my 2006 R* & they take a while to break in. They're great on the back roads but not so much on the highway. Someone posted that it takes about a thousand miles to settle in, but I've got over a thousand on these & they're still not right above 70 - 75 MPH.
The first time on the highway & they scared the crap out of me. I couldn't keep the bike in a straight line at 60 mph & above. They're getting better, but I'm still not that happy with them. If I had know they were going to be like this I wouldn't have bought them. Check out the Metzlers.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for confirming what I've been experiencing. I noticed right off the bat just getting out of the driveway it felt different. I got it back from the dealer with 30 lbs pressure spec is 36 lbs. I increased the pressure to 38 lbs. The difference in pressure didn't make a difference. I put the commander II on just before a trip and put 1700 miles on the bike in a week. On straight roads at 40 mph and above it feels like you are riding with a fidgety passenger! The front tire seems to want to "hunt" slightly left and right when going straight on smooth roads.
It's not very confidence inspiring especially at interstate speeds! I took the bike to the dealer when I got back thinking there is an issue with the tire or perhaps the rim was reversed. The tire was on properly directionally. Dealer said the rim goes on the tire machine and the new tire goes on exactly as the old one comes off. I was concerned that although the rim looks symetrical maybe there is an offset to the center line of the rim not obvious.

The dealer put on another new Commander II thinking there might be a shifted belt in the tire. I rode the bike home but it was at city speeds and I couldn't tell if I was getting a straight line wobble. I had my son take it out and he thought the tire is more rounded and turns quicker into corners and has some hunting going straight. He thought my windshield lowers were contributing to the problem. Nothing on the bike changed except the front tire so I don't see the lowers playing role at all.
I hope to get the bike out for a ride tomorrow to confirm it is the same or not. I'm not sure I want to ride with this tire for the next 2 years. It's not the dealer's fault. Sucks that the tire may not be compatible with the Roadstar. If you never did any riding above 50 mph, maybe it wouldn't be much of an issue. I didn't like the stock Bridgestone that was on it. Although it wasn't cupped that I could see, it was noisy as soon as you were into the slightest lean. It did this from new. I don't know if the Excedra Max are better? I'm not big on the Metzlers because of issues they have with cracking in the rubber. Not sure if the 888 are any better than the 880's. Not sure if it is worth getting Michelin involved with the stability handling issue or not.

David
2009 Roadstar Silverado S
2015 FJR ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 05:37 PM

I run CII's front & back on my '08. I noticed on my first set, If my rear tire isn't aligned just right, my front seems to wander like described above. My solution, be careful - On a nice flat straight road, I get up a little speed and loosen my grip on the handlebars and feel which way it's pulling. I go back to my shop and adjust my rear wheel the opposite direction it was pulling and go out and try it again. Usually after a couple of adjustments, I can ride hands free if I feel like it.
When your rear wheel is tracking straight the front seems to quit roaming around. VERY IMPORTANT - when adjusting your rear wheel for straight tracking, don't forget about proper belt tension.

Now when I buy a new set, I loosen only one adjuster, that's all needed to take the rim/tire off the bike. When reinstalling, I only need to tighten that one side, and when the tension is right, I'm ready to ride.

An Old Metric rider guy told about how to set the tracking in this manor, it's a bit time consuming, but my bike tracks down the road perfect.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Very Interesting! It makes sense. My front end seems to go both ways, not consistently one way. I've heard of using an 8 foot florescent light bulb that can act as a straight edge if the wheels are aligned. You would need to have a bike jack.

David
2009 Roadstar Silverado S
2015 FJR ABS
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 09:04 PM

dogwalk

Another guy I talked to this afternoon called this phenomenon "dogwalking". It's what happens when a crooked rear wheel is pushing a straight front wheel. The front wheel is always trying to correct itself, so it wanders.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 09:47 AM

You don't need to align the front tire to the rear tire. You need to align the rear tire with the bike frame. There isn't really any adjustment to the front tire. your triple trees can get out of adjustment, but that's a different issue than you are dealing with.
Have you ever had to adjust a belt sander because the belt is wandering too close to one side or the other, same situation. You are adjusting the tracking of the rear tire. The cool this is, after a couple of rides and adjustments, you'll notice that your belt will be riding nearly perfectly centered on the rear pulley too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode