Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Taking off back wheel. Do I need a drive belt tool?

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ms14796 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to change my tires for the first time on my roadstar. According to the service manual for the rear tire I need to loosen the drive belt bolts and when I put the wheel back on I need to check the drive belt tension with a special measuring tool. According to the mechanic at one of the Yamaha dealerships near me, I do not need to do this.

Can someone clarify this for me?

#2 ·
When reinstalling your back wheel and setting the belt tension Yamaha recommends a tension setting (amount of deflection with a known amount of pressure). A Belt Tension Measuring tool is the best way to ensure that you have tensioned the belt properly. They are very inexpensive so, rather be safe than sorry. "Proper tool for the proper job" Augie

#6 ·
In order to access the rear axle nut with a torque wrench you need to remove the muffler. There are a couple screws to remove on the muffler mounting bracket and the one band clamp to loosen right behind the O2 sensor. Then with a little wiggling the muffler slips back and off the exhaust pipe. If you use caution when reinstalling it you don't have to replace the slip gasket on the muffler.

It sounds as if a maintenance manual is in order.

#7 ·
Harbor Freight sells a nice portable bike jack for around $100 and it is well worth the cost as you will be using it a lot.
I have dropped my rear off a couple of times and I didn't have to remove the muffler. The nut is on the right side and a good open end metric wrench will take it off. Back off the tension nuts and you will also have to remove the brake caliper mount on the right side to move the caliper out of the way. Pull the bolt, drop the wheel and push it forward to take the belt off and Voila...tire off. I don't have a tension tool so I used the guide bars on the side of the window and pushed up with my finger and tightened the tensioners until I could only push up to the first bar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.