Roadstar Tire Recommendations - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Roadstar Tire Recommendations

I've checked the forums and see tire recomendations for V-Stars but not specifically for Roadstars. I've got a 2009 RS with 5,500 miles on it and it looks like my factory Dunlops are about shot. I don't see wear bars but there's no tread where the rubber meets the road.

From my reading it looks like potential tires are Metzler me 880, Michelin commander II, and Dunlop 440's.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 01:27 PM

I have metzler me 880 white walls. I really like them. They look super neat and they handle very well. I've only got about 1000 miles on them as I put them on in the beginning of the season, so I can't really comment on wear personally, but I chose them because I had been told very good things about them. However after 1000 miles there's not much noticeable wear.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJay View Post
I have metzler me 880 white walls. I really like them. They look super neat and they handle very well. I've only got about 1000 miles on them as I put them on in the beginning of the season, so I can't really comment on wear personally, but I chose them because I had been told very good things about them. However after 1000 miles there's not much noticeable wear.
You did not. Make a bad choice. I run mtzler 880 white walls on my roadie.i have almost 70000 on the bike and have run those tires the whole time.
I consistently get 11000 out of the rear and about 17000 from the front.

I don't do burn outs or ride too hard. But still that kind of mileage makes me happy.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:16 PM

With all due respect, though, that's like saying cherrios is hte best cereal, you've eaten it all your life, but never tried anything different. Just because it kept you fed doesn't mean it's hte best. It is, however, a good indication that there's no underlying surprises for people to be worried about.

Before I put on my metzlers I had dunlops on my bike, and they performed quite well, but didn't seem as sticky as the metzlers. I had about 6k on them and they were looking like slicks at that point, there was no tread left.

I have 39k miles on my bike and have gone through 6-7 sets of tires. Factory was dunlop, then a few set of avon's because that's what the dealer had. I didn't like the wear of them so i switched back to dunlops until now, even though the dunlops had good life they had poor stickyness. Great for tons of highway cruising, not so great for the twisties.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJay View Post
With all due respect, though, that's like saying cherrios is hte best cereal, you've eaten it all your life, but never tried anything different. Just because it kept you fed doesn't mean it's hte best. It is, however, a good indication that there's no underlying surprises for people to be worried about.

Before I put on my metzlers I had dunlops on my bike, and they performed quite well, but didn't seem as sticky as the metzlers. I had about 6k on them and they were looking like slicks at that point, there was no tread left.

I have 39k miles on my bike and have gone through 6-7 sets of tires. Factory was dunlop, then a few set of avon's because that's what the dealer had. I didn't like the wear of them so i switched back to dunlops until now, even though the dunlops had good life they had poor stickyness. Great for tons of highway cruising, not so great for thMe twisties.
I never said that I hadnt tried any other tire.what I said was that I had them on the roadie the whole time. I've had many other bikes over the years and tried lots of different tires.the metzlers have given me the most bang for my buck.
I tried running dunlop 404 on a Kawasaki m.88 and got the same results as you 6or7 thousand. Miles and change them. That translates into two sets of tires a summer for me.
I put a set of me880 on the roadie in march.just changed the rear at 1/32 yesterday. 11250 miles. Ther front is still at 4/32 and most likely good for the rest of the summer.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:42 PM

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, I was just commenting on the same tire on the same bike, that's all. Sorry if it sounded different.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:45 PM

No disrespect taken and no apology needed.
The one big draw back to the metzlers tire is that the white walls are not self cleaning.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:48 PM

Once they're clean, coat them with a thin layer of vegi oil, they stay clean 3x as long, and they're much easier to clean them the next time. These are my first whitewalls, because I was afraid of the constant cleaning and time commitment, so I did quite a bit of research before making the leap.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:53 PM

I have been running white walls since 2006 and have never heard of that.
.im going to try it !

There you have disproved that. Ol statement about an old dog and new tricks.

Thanks
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:56 PM

Sure thing. Keeps the brake dust and other crap from sticking to them, and the rear tire with bags on is a pita to get to, so I'd rather not do it more than necessary. But my whole bike is a mess right now and in need of serious cleaning.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode