Time to put some junk in my trunk - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Time to put some junk in my trunk

My trunk came in. It's an ebay ripoff of the DMY trunk by mutaza at $80 vs $400. I created my own mounting system for it. It came with a flat bracket, and arms that came down. I had nothing on the back so I got some 1/8" steel and started chopping. Then painting. And finally, it's on. It has the wrap-around backrest and even though it's ABS plastic, it seems quite durable.

The hinges are part of the mold, so extensions of the plastic with a rod through them, so if they break, they'll be a mofo to fix/replace. However it seems pretty sturdy as it is so I'm not to worried. The latch is about the most solid latch I've ever seen, no complaints there. The backrest is comfortable and solid yet soft. I sat in it, and I'm really jealous of my co-pilot...

Overall durability, I'd rate it 8/10. Appearance 9/10. Comfort 10/10. Ease of install 7/10.

I need to make adjustments on my install though, I want to bring it down 2 inches, but if I do it with it as it is now, I won't be able to open my bags, so I'll have to figure something out.

Overall I'm quite happy with the purchase. If I'd have bought the $400 one, then this one, I'd be mad at myself for buying the $400 one.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 02:27 PM

There nice trunks for the price. I put one on a few months ago.From the top of my bag to the bottom of the trunk is 5in.Ihave the oem soft bags i don't have no problem .They do hit the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	78yu.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	2159   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	2160  

09 V STAR 1300

Last edited by dave star; 08-02-2012 at 02:46 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Your trunk looks lower/furhter back than mine, and your bags look farther forward. Still, my issue isn't as much with the trunk hitting the bags, but the mounting system I created. The mount itself interfered with my bags so their positioning was a bit of an after thought. I think lower and with the diagnoals on the inside I'll be better off.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 02:54 AM

I see what your saying now Jay

09 V STAR 1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode