Picking up my new 2008 road star friday - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14
Picking up my new 2008 road star friday

i finally bit the bullet and traded my trusty 2007 suzuki blvd c50 in on a a new left over inventory 2008 road star. after getting a windshield, light bar, highway bar installed, i should be able to pick up this friday. i know this has been probably asked alot, but i would appreciate any advice, tips, observations, opinions on the road star from you guys that have been riding them. thanks, scott
sgfrye is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Senior Member
 
heelsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfrye View Post
i finally bit the bullet and traded my trusty 2007 suzuki blvd c50 in on a a new left over inventory 2008 road star. after getting a windshield, light bar, highway bar installed, i should be able to pick up this friday. i know this has been probably asked alot, but i would appreciate any advice, tips, observations, opinions on the road star from you guys that have been riding them. thanks, scott
Big step up from a C50. Hold on tight when you twist the throttle.

Star Touring and Riding
Cleveland Chapter 178

Current
2010 Stratoliner Deluxe


Former Bike
2011 V Star 950
Cobra Passenger Backrest
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Kuryakyn Passenger Floor Boards
V&H Slip on Exhuast
Mephis Shades Batwing
Back Off Brake Light Module
L&M Chin Scoop
Cobra FI2000R
heelsfan is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Murray Area - SC
Posts: 845
Never rode one, just wanted to say it is one heck of an awesome looking bike, Im sure your thrilled, good luck with it and I agree with the post above. HOLD ON TIGHT! *L*

Not sure if you know, I came from a C50 too.
Even with my 1300 the difference in power is awesome and a world of difference on the interstate.
Now I feel like I belong there (interstate) on the C50 I felt like I was just getting by.
I think you are going to be amazed. The c50 was a great bike but the feeling of power in going to be great, heck, your not going to have any shortage of power.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Last edited by alarmguy; 08-07-2012 at 07:18 PM.
alarmguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmguy View Post
Never rode one, just wanted to say it is one heck of an awesome looking bike, Im sure your thrilled, good luck with it and I agree with the post above. HOLD ON TIGHT! *L*

Not sure if you know, I came from a C50 too.
Even with my 1300 the difference in power is awesome and a world of difference on the interstate.
Now I feel like I belong there (interstate) on the C50 I felt like I was just getting by.
I think you are going to be amazed. The c50 was a great bike but the feeling of power in going to be great, heck, your not going to have any shortage of power.
i had the same feelings on the c50. it was a great bike up to about 60-65mph. i rode my wifes vstar 650 last sunday for about 100 miles. i had only ridden it a couple of times on short trips. man , it is a fun ride. honestly have to say just as much fun, if not more than the c50.. actually seemed better balanced. not as much power, but felt more stable even out on the hwy. the 1300 was a close 2nd in my choice to upgrage, love the fact that they are watercooled. i just couldn't pass up the good deal on the road star, quite a few 2008 & 2009 brand new models left at the dealerships, full warranty, never had gas in the tank. i'll post some pics after i get it.
sgfrye is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Collegeville, PA
Posts: 394
It's a big bike. It has a TON of power. 1670cc vs 817cc. You are more than doubling your displacement.

Also, there's more weight. A lot more. Be careful until you get used to it, it would suck to have it fall over on you. Be careful about holding on to the handlebar too, if you twist the throttle you may find yourself in the back seat.

It's low and heavy but well balanced. I can ride down the highway all day with no hands and it's just a dream. But I also have throttle lock/cruise control, which is an incredible feature that I recommend to anyone.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
FatJay is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJay View Post
It's a big bike. It has a TON of power. 1670cc vs 817cc. You are more than doubling your displacement.

Also, there's more weight. A lot more. Be careful until you get used to it, it would suck to have it fall over on you. Be careful about holding on to the handlebar too, if you twist the throttle you may find yourself in the back seat.

It's low and heavy but well balanced. I can ride down the highway all day with no hands and it's just a dream. But I also have throttle lock/cruise control, which is an incredible feature that I recommend to anyone.
FATJAY,,sound advice, thanks, i have learned one thing about riding motorcycles over the years whether they are dirt, crusiers, street, you don't need to fear them, but you better respect them and not get too "comfortable" on them. i will be taking it easy on some country roads this weekend to get used to the size and weight difference for sure. the main thing is to enjoy the ride, and i wasn't happy with the c50 out on the highway. had plenty of power, but not as stable as i wanted. fun as can be on winding country roads, but lacking alot of stability out on the highway.soon as i get my saddle bags on i will try to post a pic.
sgfrye is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Member
 
kroyleahcim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Yorktown, Indiana
Posts: 38
You will be SMILING

For every action there will be a reaction.
BLUE BIKE CLUB
kroyleahcim is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14
1st ride on the road star

Picked up my new road star this afternoon. Went on a short 50 mile ride. 1 word awesome, I have ridden 250cc, 650 CC, 800cc macines but this 1700cc machine is by far the smoothest easy ride I have had. Even at slow speed or out on country roads best balance easiest to ride than even my Suzuki c50. I couldn't be more happier. Cruising at 65mph is effortless in 4th gear. Almost like ur floating down the road
sgfrye is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 28
Congrats and similar story

I traded my Volusia (basically a carbed C50) for a leftover 09 Raider 2 weeks ago today. Love the change but wow what a difference from 800 to 1900 cc. LOL The first time on the highway I realized at 65 I was still in 4th...much more comfy. Enjoy the bigger bike!

2009 Raider S Raven new 2009 on 7/28/12 with 0 miles.
Fixed backrest, drilled exhaust, upgraded Ultrastar bulb, Model 30 LED spot driving lights, Wolo 619 Big Bad Max airhorn, and a LoJack I am hoping to never use.

Mistakes are Forever, Forgiveness is Longer.
Return to Riding is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome