Looking at buying a Roadstar - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Looking at buying a Roadstar

Seriously looking to make the jump from my Vstar to a Roadstar. Was searching on line and found 2 serious contenders. First one an '03 with 24km and lots of goodies. Second an '04 with 39km and similarly equipped.
Is there any noticeable difference in the 1600 to a 1700? Or is one better than the other?
Besides the usual things to look at, is there anything in particular to a Roadstar I should check when I go look at these two?

'02 Road Star
Vance & Hines exhaust
K&N Air Filter
Stage 1

'03 V Star 1100 Classic
'68 BSA 650
Several 350 & 750 Hondas
'84 Goldwing
'03 Yamaha Grizzly 660
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 12:53 PM

Garage
99-03 had a tranny recall...just need to confirm it's been fixed. The 04 has a little different gear ratio and higher rev limit. It also has better brakes and cast wheels. I believe the charging system was also upgraded. The 04 was prone to what is called sticky valve syndrome. The valves would stick and make the bike run like crap. Yamaha's solution was to recommend using only 4 quarts of oil when changing and flush with ring free. Worked on some but not my buddy's 04. Not all 04's had this issue. If you're able to spend a bit more, you might consider an 08-14 which are fuel injected. I've seen a number of great deals on those and am considering one myself. I currently have two 03's. One is set up for touring and the other is raked and lowered with a 21" on the front and is my around town bike. No problems with either and the touring bike has about 60k miles. Good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 04:48 PM

Saw a brand new 04 (maybe an 06 can't remember LOL) Road Star (Midnight Star) on dealer floor in Bloomsburg, PA on Saturday Couldn't believe it was still there ....

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Was the '04 the only one that had the sticky valve problem?
If the tranny recall has not been done will Yamaha still do it?

'02 Road Star
Vance & Hines exhaust
K&N Air Filter
Stage 1

'03 V Star 1100 Classic
'68 BSA 650
Several 350 & 750 Hondas
'84 Goldwing
'03 Yamaha Grizzly 660
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Should have added, I'm really looking for newer than these two but have had no luck finding a Roadstar around here. Either they are not popular or their owners just keep them because I've not been able to find one less than a 4 hour drive away.

'02 Road Star
Vance & Hines exhaust
K&N Air Filter
Stage 1

'03 V Star 1100 Classic
'68 BSA 650
Several 350 & 750 Hondas
'84 Goldwing
'03 Yamaha Grizzly 660
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 06:45 PM

Garage
04 was the prominent year for the problem, but I believe some 05s suffered as well...not sure if any year beyond. I believe they changed the valves, but not sure what year they made the change. If the recall work hasn't been done, yamaha will still do it free of charge. They were suppose to put a punch mark after the vin, but that mark wasn't always done. One of mine didn't have the mark but the work was done. I'm with you on finding what you want locally. I see a number of bikes I'm interested in out of state. If I find one I really want, I'll fly there and ride it home. The Roadstar is a great bike that really fits me well. I'm looking to replace my long haul bike and can't find anything that fits me as well. There really are some great deals out there. Good luck with the search.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 04:59 PM

Just a comment on buying a bike from out of state - I live in southern Maryland, saw a great deal on VStar 950 Tourer in southwest Pennsylvania, a 5.5 hour drive from me. Borrowed a friend's truck, rented a motorcycle trailer from Uhaul for $14.95, trailered my 650 Silverado (trade in) there and brought the 950 home same day. Got the trailer back to Uhaul that night too! Moral of the story: where there's a will there's a way!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

The long drive to go look at a M/C doesn't bother me but it gets expensive after a few trips and no new motorcycle. Really pisses me off when you make that trip and the bike is nothing at all like the photos or how they portrayed it.

'02 Road Star
Vance & Hines exhaust
K&N Air Filter
Stage 1

'03 V Star 1100 Classic
'68 BSA 650
Several 350 & 750 Hondas
'84 Goldwing
'03 Yamaha Grizzly 660
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 06:33 AM

As suggested above, go for an 08' - 14' because of the FI. You'll never look back, just keep good oil & rubber on her and ride, ride, ride! On the FI models, there is no need for any engine mods except for a nicer looking air breather and exhaust. (and bags, seat, fairing, lol)
If you read around the forums on these bikes, there are a gazillion threads on carb adjustment, rejetting and fuel & electrical mods. This maintenance seems endless, and the carb adjustments or re jetting require the carb come off the bike. Some guys enjoy tweaking out their carbbed models, but there are sensors all over my 08' and it runs GREAT without any fuel or electrical mods.

No matter what year you get, Check your Front pulley nut and ensure tightness and install the Barnett clutch kit and you'll be ready to ride.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 09:58 PM

I have an 06' bought it a little over 2 years ago I have put over 12,000 miles and all i have done is change the oil. BTW check out the roadstarclinic.com for all the road star info you could want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode