Stars in my eyes - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Stars in my eyes

Hi everyone. I was told to ask here so here goes.

I have fallen in love with both the Roadstar and the Roadliner. New guy here ridding a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100vt. Nice bike,but not enough power for two up. So I'm looking to the Stars and would appreciate what some of you owners think about the two by comparison. What about smoothness of the two engines, much vibration? Given these choices what did you choose and why?

Thanks for any input, I have read some reviews but I'd love some info based on personnel experience. Thanks again.

Marc

Last edited by stilltrying; 08-21-2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: forgot name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 AM

road star happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
Hi everyone. I was told to ask here so here goes.

I have fallen in love with both the Roadstar and the Roadliner. New guy here ridding a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100vt. Nice bike,but not enough power for two up. So I'm looking to the Stars and would appreciate what some of you owners think about the two by comparison. What about smoothness of the two engines, much vibration? Given these choices what did you choose and why?

Thanks for any input, I have read some reviews but I'd love some info based on personnel experience. Thanks again.

Marc

I traded my 07 suzuki blvd 800cc bike in on a brand new left over inventory 2008 road star about 3 weeks ago. couldn't be happier. put 600+ miles on it. the suzuki was a great starter bike, but no comparison to the road star. i couldn't believe how much better the road star handled, even though its alot bigger and heavier, its better balanced, easy to slow speed manuever, smoooooooth, you kinda just float on down the road instead of feeling ever little bump and rock in the road. and the engine never turns enough rpms at 60 to 75 mph to even think about vibration. at 60 to 65 mph, im only in 4th gear and its low rpm, chugging along like an old reliable john deere tractor. with a twist of the throtte, you will be at 75mph in about 1 second. the only major change in the road star since 1999 is starting with the 2008 models, they have been switch to fuel injection, which i like, the carbs are too finicky for me, my wifes vstar 650 is very cold natured and temp and humidity sensitive. the fact that yamaha has done no major changes on the bike after 13 years speaks for itself, i guess i could summarize by saying the road star is a bike that gives you the comfort and power of a 1700cc bike that has a low center of gravity and handles like a dream.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Thank you sgfrye for taking the time to respond. That's just the kind of info I'm looking for.
Have you tied the twisty roads yet. I 'm wondering how well it corners compared to your C50. I love the looks of the Road Star and I'm glad you're happy with it. I do want to try the Road Star and the Roadliner at the next demo ride in my area.

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 09:12 AM

I have an 01 roadstar and I love it. While the roadliner is nice, it's not nice enough to offset the large price difference. Around here you can have a nice roadstar completely vanilla for $3500-4500. I started with mine with nothing on it, blown engine, cracked fender, etc. Since then I've added a great oversized set of bags, windshield, trunk, and radio, deleted the fuel pump, rebuilt the engine, new 05 2 piece rotors for reduced vibrations, white wall tires, and I'm still thousands under the price of a roadliner.

The roadstar is low, and can be lowered. At 5'7" 165lbs I can easily get on my roadstar and move it around, even though it's 750lbs. Fully loaded 2 up with gear we're 1100-1200lbs, and my roadstar is still like a rocket. I've touched the floorboards to the ground countless times. It's very comfortable to spend the entire day on, and we have. The oversized trunk, bags, and luggage rack allow us to store clothes for a 3 day weekend, plus her hairdryer and random cosmetic items, a bag in itself.

If you're concerned about the power difference between the roadstar and the liner, don't be. The roadstar is plenty powerful, unless two up adds 500 lbs. and you want to haul a trailer. And even then the roadstar can handle it. Once you reach that point, you're going for bragging rights about size, not power. I seriously can't imagine why I'd need more power in a touring bike.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar

Last edited by FatJay; 08-30-2012 at 09:46 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Great information Fatjay, sounds like the Roadstar is everything you want it to be and more than adequate. Thanks for all you have shared about this bike,now I will be looking at the classifieds and craigslist in my area come Spring and end up with the bike that's right for me.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 12:14 PM

Worthy of note though. I'm 5'7" and 165lbs, the lady is 4'9" and 100lb. Our combined weight is less than a lot of solo riders I've seen out there. If a heftier fella at about 350lb and his heftier wife at 200lbs were to hop on, I'd probably reinforce the subframe of the rear fender, and get a very durable sissy bar.

Still, just looked at roadliners, they're 7-8k and up here. Roadstars are a lot less. 1700cc vs 1800cc. But if you're bigger, the roadliner is physically larger as well. But the only way you might feel cramped is if you are among the largest people. Not just wide, but tall too.

Go to your local yamaha dealer and sit on both, maybe take a test ride around the parking lot, if you're concerned about the size. I was almost worried the roadstar would be to big for me at first. And at first it was big, and heavy too. But I've learned it's balance points and it's easy for me to maneuver now.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
I will be looking at the classifieds and craigslist in my area come Spring and end up with the bike that's right for me.
It's been said before elsewhere but it's worth repeating again... prices go up in spring and drop in the fall... if you have the money and the garage space I would start looking for your ride now. That way you have both the money and the time (winter) to customize it!

'06 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames!
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
National Cycle windshield
National Cycle quick release hardbags
Lindby engine guard
Driving lights mounted to engine guard

More to come when I save enough cash!

Last edited by M'Lady; 08-30-2012 at 01:43 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Good point M'Lady but by the same token I can get more for my Honda in the spring.

FatJay I'm 6'0' at 200lbs and my wife, well together let's just say we are right at the limit for riders, gear and full tank. I'm sure my choice will be good because everything I read about the two bikes is positive and yes I hope to be able to test ride both. Thanks again to both you and M'Lady for your input. Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode