2003 road star 1600, good purchase? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

2003 road star 1600, good purchase?

I'm looking at a 2003 Road Star 1600 a friend has for sale. The bike has about 25000 miles on it and its in show room condition. The owner looked after that bike like no other I'm sure, in fact it's cleaner than most new ones. The question I have Is I drove it last night and I noticed the motor seamed a little louder than my 800 Vulcan I own. I found it ticky and vibrated more than I'm used to. He would not been hard on it at all and is this normal for these motors? I read that they are louder than the water cooled motors but before I buy just wondering if this is normal? Hope to hear from some owners out there. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 07:47 PM

Garage
The Yammy engines are all a bit loud and ticky. That's just the way they are but, man are they well built. The vibrations are also normal as you have twice the cc's. At 25000miles it's just broken in and should give you years of riding pleasure. I say go for it.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Corsair, I picked up the bike yesterday. I only got to give it a 50 mile run but I think once I get use to it I'm sure it will be great. Everyone I talk to tells me how great these bikes are so heres to hoping they are right. Just put in spark plugs tonight, found out they have 4 plugs, I only picked up 2 so back to the store tomorrow for the rest. Looks like those plugs have never been changed, at least his records don't show them changed like everything else. They looked good but how much difference does fresh plugs do? Just thinking with my fingers.. Thanks for your opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 05:29 PM

I bought a 2000 road star in 2006. It had 1300 miles on it.
It now has over 70,000.
I have never had a problem with it. The only thing I've ever done is one set of plugs,tires,brakes and oil.standard maintenance . I am still running the original drive belt.

To make a long story short you made a good decision in buying the roadstar.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:17 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ChainSaw
!

its twice as big as your old Vulcan, that why you notice a difference.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:00 PM

Roadstars rock!
Find out if the recall has been done on your transmission. If it has no worries. If it hasn't still no worries but you can get a free rebuild done on Yamaha's dime if it hasn't been done yet. Yamaha recalled every 1600 Roadstar ever made and you not only get the trans rebuilt but the entire engine top end as well. If you don't know just PM me the VIN & I'll run it through the dealer system at work for you.

Yes, it's a noisy engine, kind of like a big twin locomotive under your butt. Personally, I like it. Honestly as far as the sound & feel of the Roadstar engine, it kind of reminds me of my old HD shovelhead without all the hassles & breakdowns.

Take good care of that bike & it could easily live longer than the average Goldwing & that's saying a lot. I work at a Pro Yamaha dealership & we see Roadstars with well over 100k on them all the time that have never been worked on beyond what's outlined under regular maintenance in the owner's manual. DAMN good bikes! LOL

Cheers

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.
For every mile of road, there are two miles of ditches.
The 2 most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why.

Liquid Silver & Cobalt Blue 2006 Roadstar spoke with a ton of cool goodies.

Last edited by BubbaKahuna; 12-09-2012 at 09:02 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks BubbaKahuna,
Sorry I have been so long getting back at the site. Work has been crazy and the motorcycle is tucked away for the winter months, and I have not been following the site. I put about 600 miles on the * in the couple weeks I rode before the weather shut us down. I installed new sparkplugs, and put in new Amsiol 20w-50 v-twin oil, and removed the all but used up battery. When spring rolls around I will pick up a new battery and hit the road.
What is the best battery for this 1600? I have looked around and the dealer told me it's hard to beat the orig. Yuasa ytx20l-bs that the bike came with. The battery is just shy of 10 years and the bike sat a lot so maybe they are right. Any ideas?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 AM

Yeah, the original battery is pretty well matched to the bike but a lot of guys are going with lithium cells to drop a couple pounds. The lithiums are also really small, so much so that some are using the extra room in the battery compartment for extras like relays & such.

If you got close to 10 years out of a lead acid battery you're obviously taking good care of it. The only thing i'd say is to get an Optimate4 intelligent maintainer for your next battery. You may never replace another battery again. LOL

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.
For every mile of road, there are two miles of ditches.
The 2 most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why.

Liquid Silver & Cobalt Blue 2006 Roadstar spoke with a ton of cool goodies.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 PM

I moved from a V-Star 1100 to the 05 RS 1700 and while the bike felt very familiar, it sounded very different. Engine and gear noise is definitely there but big twins are noisy. One big difference betweem the V-Star's 360 degree crank and the RoadStar's 270 degree crank is the rougher (lopier) idle and the low RPM surges. Sounds great, but takes some getting used to.

Yamaha's intermediate and big twins are possibly the most dependable, low maintenance, high mileage engines on earth. I expect this RS to bury me and I have plenty of miles left! Ride hard, ride safe, ride fast or slow, but just ride and do it often!!!!

A wise man once said, "When ya gotta go , ya better go, cause when ya get there ya may find ya done been!" That can't be good.

2005 Road Star Midnight Edition (Black)
Memphis Shades Batwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode