Chirping noise from drive belt area - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Chirping noise from drive belt area

Hello, I searched the forum back a couple of years, and did net see this mentioned, when I am on the bike myself, and decelerate, there is not really a chirp, when the wife and I are on, and back off the throttle, there is a chirping sound near the drive belt area. This is the first bike I have had with a belt, all others have had chain or shaft. Thanks in advance for the help guys.

1999 Roadstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 08:35 PM

Garage
I'd start by checking the belt tension...it may be a little loose with the extra weight of a passenger. Pretty common issue on a belt driven bike. May just need to be tightened a bit. Good luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't have a belt tension gauge, but it does feel tight, very little play, the chirp is near the front I believe, is there rubber grommets on the drive wheel?

1999 Roadstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 08:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybones49801 View Post
I don't have a belt tension gauge, but it does feel tight, very little play, the chirp is near the front I believe, is there rubber grommets on the drive wheel?
Not sure what you're referring to about "rubber grommets on the drive wheel". If you're sure it's not the belt being too loose under load, I would take the front pulley cover off and just make sure the front pulley nut is tight. This is a well known issue with the Roadstar.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
There are 6 rubber bushings (grommets was probably the wrong word...) inside the hub of the rear wheel, do these go bad routinely on the RS? Also, how much play should the drive belt have with no load? 1" in the center or less? There has to be a way to check the adjustment without the "yamaha" tool. Also, the pully cover comes off Monday! I will check the nut.Thanks

1999 Roadstar
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
There are 6 rubber bushings (grommets was probably the wrong word...) inside the hub of the rear wheel, do these go bad routinely on the RS? Also, how much play should the drive belt have with no load? 1" in the center or less? There has to be a way to check the adjustment without the "yamaha" tool. Also, the pully cover comes off Monday! I will check the nut.Thanks
the 950 came out with a lot belt pulleys misaligned and if the belt was to tight it destroyed the countershaft bearing requiring an engine teardown to repair it, if i were you i'd run the belt a tad looser than recommended. a loose belt may wear a bit quicker but a tight belt destroys hubs and bearings. the pulley misalignment is well know issue on 950s. the only way to fix the misalignment is by shifting the engine or shimming or shaving the front pulley. i'll bet if you look at your rear pulley the belt is to one side not in the middle were it belongs. yamaha knows all about the problem too

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 06-23-2016 at 04:41 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 05:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
No worries...They're called the Cush drive inserts or dampers. Shouldn't be the issue. Here's some good info on the belt. Hope it helps.

Rear Wheel Alignment - Yamaha Road Star
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK, bought a tension gauge, tension is correct, I am going to have to check the alignment, but the belt looks right. Also, the main pully nut is tight and the lock washer is bent and touching correctly. Hopefully more updates soon.

1999 Roadstar
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 10:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
OK, bought a tension gauge, tension is correct, I am going to have to check the alignment, but the belt looks right. Also, the main pully nut is tight and the lock washer is bent and touching correctly. Hopefully more updates soon.
Are you checking the tension under the same load when you experience the chirp? If the alignment is off, you want to make sure the belt is tracking straight. It's normal for the belt to run a bit to one side. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode