Road Star rattles - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Road Star rattles

The headlight and the belt guard (chrome) rattle when hitting bumps, which is on most roads here in NYS.
Anyone else experience this?
Any ideas on resolving this are much appreciated.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 09:13 AM

Garage
The headlight rattle is a common problem. Here's a fix.
AussieGlenn's Headlight Rattle Dilemma - Yamaha Road Star

Haven't had the belt guard rattle on either of my roadstars. I did remove the belt guard on one bike about 20k miles ago. Good Luck!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 10:36 AM

My belt guard bangs against my saddlebag brackets. The brackets are not OEM nor are the bags. I've had to cut off some of the protruding mounting bolt and flange to provide more space but still get some banging on hard bumps. Considering removing the guard altogether.

2005 Road Star Midnight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 03:37 PM

The Belt guard has rubber bushings with a metal sleeve in them so once the bolt is tight
it just bottoms out on the sleeve. I took the sleeve to the local hardware store and got
a couple of stainless steel washers that has a hole big enough that the sleeve would fit through it. When tightened the washers actually squish the rubber bushing tighter and that took care of the belt guard rattle.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 06:13 PM

Cured mine by removing the belt guard.
chedobean and chedobean like this.

2005 Road Star Midnight
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 10:47 PM

I've got a friend who removed the belt guard from his 2000 HD fatboy. We went off to a flea market one day and the parking lot was dirt. While riding into the lot a small stone got up into the belt and when it went thru the rear pulley it shredded his belt. That was expensive not to mention a big PIA.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick M View Post
I've got a friend who removed the belt guard from his 2000 HD fatboy. We went off to a flea market one day and the parking lot was dirt. While riding into the lot a small stone got up into the belt and when it went thru the rear pulley it shredded his belt. That was expensive not to mention a big PIA.
I don't see how removing the belt guard had anything to do with that other than coincidence.

2005 Road Star Midnight
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrT View Post
I don't see how removing the belt guard had anything to do with that other than coincidence.
Perhaps it was a coincidence but have you ever wondered why bikes with a chain only guard the top of the chain yet bikes that are belt driven guard both top and bottom. I think i'll keep mine on just in case it wasn't a coincidence.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Last edited by Dick M; 10-12-2016 at 01:11 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick M View Post
Perhaps it was a coincidence but have you ever wondered why bikes with a chain only guard the top of the chain yet bikes that are belt driven guard both top and bottom. I think i'll keep mine on just in case it wasn't a coincidence.
Well let's see if my memory serves me .... last 3 bikes I had with a chain drive were a Honda 750-4, a Honda 500-4, and a '72 Truimph 650 Bonneville ... only the Hondas had a chain guard. Only bikes I've had with a belt is my current '05 Road Star and my '13 Victory XCT that I recently sold .... only have a guard on the top of the belt.

That said, if you have a guard on top and bottom, I can see your point.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2005 Road Star Midnight

Last edited by SilvrT; 10-12-2016 at 04:22 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 07:42 PM

I have a 2005 Road star and it has a guard on both top and bottom. My buddies 2000 hd fatboy has a guard on both top and bottom now which was the stock set up. I'm sorry I didn't mean for this to turn into a pissing match, if you feel running with out any belt guards is the way to go then by all means leave them off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode