Exhaust purchase salvage help needed. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Exhaust purchase salvage help needed.

Feeling pretty dumb right now. I bought a used aftermarket exhaust from an ebay seller. The pics didn't look too bad, and I thought they'd clean up nicely with some polish. When the package arrived I was excited, but that excitement quickly turned to disgust when I found lots of rust, pitting, deep scoring/scratches and dings.

So here's the deal. I need to salvage these pipes. I have an 05 Midnight Silverado. I really wanted chrome exhaust, but that ship has sailed. I really don't want to use heat wrap, but if that's what it takes, so be it. High temp paints might be the answer, but chrome is not paint friendly and I haven't found a primer or sealer that handles 1200 degrees F. Ceramic paints seem to be the ticket, but primer is my biggest concern. Any thoughts? Experiences? Will a properly jetted RS 1700 exhaust reach 1200 degrees F?

Signed,
Exasperated in Clarksville!

A wise man once said, "When ya gotta go , ya better go, cause when ya get there ya may find ya done been!" That can't be good.

2005 Road Star Midnight Edition (Black)
Memphis Shades Batwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 01:31 PM

i would post up on a local car forum for powder coater,

and do a "wrinkle" on it to cover the pits.

i did a black ceramic once,and it would burn off at the 2 into 1 junction, and every so often, i would wrap a wal-mart bag behind it to catch the over spray, and re-spray it with BBQ grill paint.

ebay is a tough deal sometimes
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:45 PM

Heat wrap, black, or have them chromed at a chrome shop. Shouldn't be to much. Or you can find them for less than $100 on craigslist in very good, if not new condition. Plus, you don't have to go exclusively with roadstar, a bunch of HD compatible pipes fit on very nicely with no modification, and they're a bit more common and easy to obtain.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Dang! I didn't realize some harley pipes would fit. Wound up buying a set of Yamaha Long Drag pipes for $189 shipped. I'll prep and paint the others and try to recoup some money.

Thanks for the responses
tan

A wise man once said, "When ya gotta go , ya better go, cause when ya get there ya may find ya done been!" That can't be good.

2005 Road Star Midnight Edition (Black)
Memphis Shades Batwing
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJay View Post
Heat wrap, black,
that would have been my suggestion.

Pick, make sure you post pics when you get the new pipes installed.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
BOBBER CLUB

05 Vstar 650 bobber

13 Harley Street Glide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode