starting issue wont crank engine vstar 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

starting issue wont crank engine vstar 1100

my batter is two months old and recently since it has gotten down into 40 deg temp in mornings, it wont start. it turns once and then nothing. i took it down to local cycle shop and they said it had some charge but not real cranking power capability

anyone had problems of this type

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:33 PM

Battery

If you buy another battery pay attention to the cold cranking amps rating of the battery. I don't know anything about your battery or bike but amps is the measure of power in a battery. Most are 12 volts but when the chips are down the amp rating is what is important. Only other thing might be that you are pulling to much power from options on your bike to let the battery fully charge. If you have heated clothing and passing lamps for example, turn one of them off to make sure the battery is charged. Be sure your battery rating is up to the rating in your owners manual.

You might try keeping a battery maintainer on your battery in cold weather. Maybe a light bulb under the motor. Be Careful not to let it touch or be close to any plastic or cloth. We use heavy oil in our bikes and a V Twin comes up against half its displacement every time it turns over. If it is 40 degrees it may have dropped below that at night. So a good battery in good shape is important.

Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

i had my battery checked yesterday, voltage was ok but otherwise power was bad, must have been a bad cell/battery. i got a new one yesterday pm and charged last night, check ed out about 13 vdc and even though it got down to 35 f last night it started right up immediately this morning and i took a ride. i got some linbar engine guards installed that are really nice, glad to be back riding some before it gets too cold. hope the battery holds up

thanks for the feedback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode