Someone tried to crush my bike...help - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Someone tried to crush my bike...help

Just looking for some advice...

I have a '03 V Star 650 Silverado. The one night I'm an idiot and park on the street, someone decides to try to crush my bike into the ground with their car or truck. They didn't hit it, because there's no impact mark. The forks are bent, the fender is twisted and buckling, the disk brake is bent, and the kickstand is now in an L shape. The thing was like an inch off the ground; I really don't know how it didn't just collapse. Repair costs...a painful $1,300.

Now for the fun part... I have liability and comprehensive, but no collision. My insurance company (Progressive) is trying to tell me that I'm not covered because someone collided with my bike, but I'm saying that there's no way in hell someone could have mangled the metal that badly without TRYING to do it. So to me, and everyone else with half a brain, it seems like straight vandalism. It looks like someone pushed their car or truck up against my bike and tried to push it over. Insurance agent is telling me a delivery truck probably backed into it and didn't feel it, but my uncle owns a construction company and has driven huge trucks his whole life and said if you back into something, even a tiny bicycle, you feel it. For someone to do that kind of damage to an almost 600 lb bike...they had to back into it, feel the resistance, and keep pushing.

So advice? This is my first time trying to get a claim through with my insurance company. I just want my baby back on the road one last time before winter.

And yes, I know...get collision and park in a garage.

Thanks in advance.

Britt

Last edited by AngieDuVall; 11-11-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:45 AM

I am no insurance expert, and I live in British Columbia so I don't know if there are differences because of this but. Collision coverage is when YOU collide with something. Be it a tree, another veh or deer. the damage to your bike in that case calls on collision coverage. I think you've got a comprehensive claim.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 09:32 AM

Attorney General

The only suggestion I can think of is check with your state Attorney General or Insurance Board. To see if this is a correct decision. The Attorney General is probably on line. Maybe call your insurance company home office. Be sure to point out the bike was parked. Anything I say would be a guess.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode