Windshield for 2008 VStar 1100 Custom - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Windshield for 2008 VStar 1100 Custom

Earlier today, I replaced my Suzuki VS800 Intruder with a 2008 VStar 1100 Custom. The new bike only has 1015 miles.

I am interested in opinions on a windshield for my new bike. Memphis Shades is an obvious choice. Fat or Slim version?

Any other brands recommended?

Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 07:58 PM

I have a switchblade which is big but also i can take it off very quick like half a second. Also with it all the windshields from them mount with the same hardware so you can buy multiple screens bigger for more highway or smaller for maybe around town. I got a big one cause our highways in ID are 75 and this way the Mrs. dont complain about wind. btw i also have a 2008 Midnight Custom 1100.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

I checked them Switchblade windshields out on valueaccessories.net. I assume you have the Switchblasde 2_up model?

They seem very nice and the ability to put it on or take it off in seconds is a big plus. Regarding the windshield's height (headlight cutout to apex), the info on the website says "These are bike specific, the actual heights from cut out goes from 19" to 21".

I am 5'9" and prefer to look a bit over the winshield most of the time. Based on what I read in the Memphis Shades website, the windshiled height I should have is 17". How tall are you and is your eye level above or below the top of the Switchblade? Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:20 PM

I am also 5'9 and yes i believe i have the 2up and yes i can see over it if i choose but also if i slouch i can kinda hide behind it. I like it a lot if you have anyother questions let me know.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Being able to normally see over it but to slouch at times to get behind it is exactly what I want to do. I like the Switchblade better than the Memphis Sahdes, and the Switchblade's quick release system seems to work very well. So far, it's my choice but I would like to hear other people's opinions also. Thanks....
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 11:37 AM

I have an '06 VSTAR Custom, and purchased a Memphis Shades slim with quick disconnect. It is excellent, provides enough coverage for long trips and is not too bulky.

Jeff
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 06:06 PM

I have 2000 vstar 1100 custom
i have bolt on shield, i have never needed to remove
I can see over if sit upright and crouch a bit to be behind , it works well, mine is slightly shaded particularly on lower sides. normally i am looking through the top portion of the shield. enjoy
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

After starting this thread a few weeks ago, I went back and forth on the National Cycles' Switchblade and the Memphis Shades windshields. After reading other's comments on this thread and doing my own investigating, I ended up buying the Switchblade and installed it about a week ago.

I chose the Switchblade 2-Up windshield because I liked its traditional look better and was impressed by the demo showing the strength of the Switchblade's polycarbonate vs. the acrylic Memphis Shades. Installation was very easy and the quick disconnect bracket, if I ever use it, is simple to use. I am very happy with it.

If anyone's interested, www.cruisercustomizing.com had the best price.

On a sad note, since it's getting cold in the Boston area, today I hput my bike away until the Spring . I will, however, continue to visit this Forum daily and hope all you warm weather people continue to safely enjoy your riding.

Next add-on for my bike will be either a seat (Mustang, I suspect) or Vance & Hines slip-ons.

Steve
'08 V Star 1100 Midnight Custom
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:56 PM

My Silverado came with the windshield which has been off once,never again. I feel it is a safety issue not being able to see over the windshield especially at night in the rain. I know not to many people ride at night in the rain. Better safe than sorry.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:04 PM

Yes, I too have dealt with the stock Silverado windsheild, sure is a pain dealin with that, lots of time and trouble to take off(or even adjust) not a good system. My bolts and screws didn't match well either, twist and push a lot to fit: just me, needs to be much better for what they cost. Ride safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode