Shorty/Half Helmets - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Shorty/Half Helmets

Hello,

At the risk of starting a hotly debated topic-which I guess isn't all that bad for a forum;~)-I'd like to know how many of you wear shorty or half helmets? Do you have any helmets you love, even helmets you hate?

I currently wear an HJC FS-10 full face helmet. I like the helmet. Here's the issue. Its fine when I ride alone but if I ride with others; I have difficulty talking with them and hearing them. Therefore; I'm thinking about buying a shorty/half helmet.

Of course, this leads into the question of Goggles vs Glasses...

Thoughts, opinions, recommendations and comments are all appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

09 V Star 950
Mustang Seat with Backrest
Kuryakyn Side Mount Tag Holder
Yamaha Rear Rack
2005 Kendon Triple Rail Stand Up Trailer with Rock Guard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 07:02 PM

When I have to(to be legal, like on trips) I wear a half. Smart? Maybe not. It's just what I like.

Last edited by Sugar Bear; 11-18-2009 at 05:43 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 10:24 PM

I like my HJC IS MAX Modular. moderate price, Nice lift up front face to go from full to 3/4 face, shield lifts, two small rectangular ventilation ports, removable washable liner, and real nice smoked sun glasses that rotate down and up easily, DOT approved. It is pretty big helmet but I have enjoyed it so far, very functional. Probably need some kind of headset to wear for communication between driver and rider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 10:39 AM

I have an Arai GP-5K full face helmet that I also use for car racing. It is both DOT approved and has a Snell certification. It is a bit pricy (~$600) but if you have a cheap head, get a cheap helmet! It is quite light and Arai helmets have a solid reputation for quality & safety. The inside liner was getting worn and this past Spring I sent it to Arai where they replaced the liner for me at no cost. I use my Arai at times when riding my VStar 1100, especially when the weather is cooler.

I also have a Bell Shorty and like it a lot. Good fit, very comfortable and is also well made. The only issue I have with it is the strap is quite long and I have to wrap it around the portion of the strap under my chin after tightening it so that it does not flap around. I have thought about cutting a bit of the strap off but never think of it until the strap starts hitting me. Overall, though, I like the Bell Shorty and recommend it. I tend to wear it on 75% of my rides.

Prior to buying the Bell Shorty, I bought a Nolan Cruise shorty helmet. It, too, was very well made and fit well. I returned it, though, because it was quite large. It looked like I was wearing a globe on my head! My daughter said I looked like I should be driving a Vespa....

While it makes sense to wear the full faced helmet all the time, I like riding better with the Shorty.

Hope this helps.....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 AM

Garage
I have a KBC (not sure if that is correct) full face that I use in inclement weather and then a Bell Open face at other times. I am looking to replace the open face with a shorty cause I like the way they look and also my ears aren't covered as much.

my 2 cents

Dave
'07 V-Star 650 Custom
'06 V-Star 1100 Silverado
'16 DR-200s
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:30 PM

I have and always will wear Full Face helmets.

I do have a shorty helmet i leave in the garage so when i finish fixing one of the bikes i can quickly thought it on for a test ride around the block. But i never were it for any real riding.

My main helmets are a Shoei RF1000, And a HCJ full face (dont remeber the model).

The RF 1000 is a great lid. Light quite and the vents actually WORK (AKA can feel wind in you hair when opened). Its also a very comfy lid to wear

And my HJC is still an awsome lid. Very comfy fit and decently quite But it is heavier than either the Shoei's and the vents dont work worth a damn. But at a third of the cost its my preferance for use in commuting

I also have a Shoei Hornet DS. It was a good lid when messing around in the dirt but overall not my favorite lid. Its NOISY and the visor causes a bit of buffeing at higher speeds not to mention the vents arent quite as good as the Rf1000. But still it is a light and comfy lid. I dont really use this helmet any more as i had a pretty decent spill with it on and banged my head on the ground with it (went over the bars offroading my old bike). no head injury was involved and the helmet looks fin minuse a small scratch but i belive in the one time use of a helmet.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:42 PM

I wear a half-helmet in the warm months and switch to a full helmet in the cold months. Helps to keep the ears warm.

I do not wear a full helmet with the chin guard. I had one and found out real quick that in order to see my speedometer, I had to tilt my whole head down. Not good in my opinion.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who posted. I still feel safer riding with the full face helmet. I suppose I'll give the shorty helmet a whirl when it gets warmer and see if I like it.

Be safe, have fun.

Tony

09 V Star 950
Mustang Seat with Backrest
Kuryakyn Side Mount Tag Holder
Yamaha Rear Rack
2005 Kendon Triple Rail Stand Up Trailer with Rock Guard
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 11:23 AM

I have three HJC helmets.

I have a 1/2, 3/4 and a FF. I tend to wear my 3/4 more than the others but when in a group or warm weather I'll pull out the 1/2 everytime.

I've been riding over 30 years, mostly with no helmet. To me they are all a bother.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 11:28 AM

Garage
Hey Capt Gruuvy, you know what else is a bother. You laying in a hospital bed for the rest you your life a complete vegetable, your family agonizing over taking care of you because some person didn't bother looking before they turn in front of you, completely ignoring your 30 years of riding 'experience'

THAT is a REAL bother!

Dave

Dave
'07 V-Star 650 Custom
'06 V-Star 1100 Silverado
'16 DR-200s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode