Middle gear shaft breakage. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Middle gear shaft breakage.

Hi all.
I am looking for anyone that has had the Middle gear shaft break on the 1100 Vstar. Yamaha is telling me that they cannot warrranty it for me, on my 06. I feel that it should not have broken. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Ride safe
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 06:26 PM

Sorry, this is not an answer, but a question, since I run an 1100 vstar too. What was going on when it broke, what was the situation at the time? Just curious. Thanks.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 06:49 PM

Power shaft

There was a discussion just over a month ago here. Look second page back titled power shaft broken.

Another responder also had the same problem. I mistakenly thought that by power shaft he meant drive shaft but, I think you are speaking of the same shaft.

Apparently they are a weak link but, I don't think it is something that happens often.

Aparently as with most manufacturers free of defects in manufacturing for one year does not mean free of defects. Also not sure if any hot dogging was in this picture.
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

I realize this was a thread a short time ago. I am trying to find out how many shafts have broken lately. Maybe I can pursuade Yamaha to do something about the issue. To replace the shaft the cosst is between $1500 and $3000. that being said.
When the shaft broke I was riding along at about 25mph (city traffic). and developed a whine (sounded like tire whine). noise followed speed, could only hear it during decelleration (loud pipes). Noise gradually got louder. Loud crunch was heard when nut holding u-joint to middle gear dislodged and busted speedo pickup.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:39 AM

Middle gear

Did you see the post by Starwrench under Engine repair? Same problem.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

No, but I will look for it.
Thanks
Doug
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:50 PM

my o5 had 53000 when this happened but after a lot of reserch i have found out that this is happening in a lot of the 11oo's of all years and milage from 8000 up.i have already repaired mine and it only cost me 14 bucks and about 8 hours time.the cause of the breakage is that yamaha uses a cast forged shaft which they finish machine and heat treat.After examing the broken shaft under magnification you can really see how uneven the heat treatment was but back to the fix,if you remove the swingarm you can easily get tothe end of the broken shaft where any competent mechanic or machinest can drill the end of the shaft and tap it,install a proper hardend steel bolt to hold the universal yoke to the shaft.thats the basics of the fix but can give a more in depth explanation if anybody needs it
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information, I am having a private shop replace the gear shaft. I want to try and get Yamaha improve the gear and maybe with any luck do a recall.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 07:36 PM

Good to hear that you are getting it taken care of. What kind of money and time were they talking? The nearest shop for me that can do that sort of work is several miles away. I hope you pursue the idea of a recall on that. If Yamaha put out a defective part, then by all means, they should recall and fix them all, otherwise would be quite a blackeye, don't believe Yamaha would want that. Would be nice if they give this attention.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

I took the engine to a private shop 14 miles from home. I think I am going on 4 weeks now. The shop said it could be as early as the end of the week. with a total of around $1600. I was quoted 12hours labor. The local dealer said they could do it in 6 hours. I have to wonder what corners where to be cut. I don't mind paying for a little more labor if the job is done right the first time.
I will definently persue Yamaha on doing a recall.
doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode