2001 XVS 650 - No juice to starter - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2001 XVS 650 - No juice to starter

Hi All,

I've read a bunch of threads that sorta-kinda described my issue, though I could find none that REALLY hit the mark. Reading the other posts did produce some brainstorms (+farts), but thus far the issue persists.

The injury appears to be self-inflicted as I was trying to replace my ignition and start switches with non-OEM switches that would be mounted in locations that were different from stock. I'm almost certain that I shorted/blew something somewhere when I first tried to bypass the ignition switch by wiring a new switch to the 4 wire harness that the OEM ignition switch connects to.

Here's a summary of what I know and what I think I know:

Starter will turn when jumped directly from battery.
Headlight, turn signals, marker and brake lights work.
Instrument "cluster" works MINUS NEUTRAL indicator.
Neutral bulb is not bad.
Starter Relay (replaced) seems to work.
None of the fuses that I can find are blown.
Replaced 10A ignition fuse for gits and shiggles, no change.

I snipped the start and kill switches and twisted their respective leads together to eliminate them.
Starter Relay clicks when I put the bike in neutral, which I think means that it works, or at least means the neutral switch isn't the culprit... right?

What thoughts do you guys have based on this initial rundown?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:12 PM

Garage
if the starter relay works how can it not transfer power to the starter as that's it's only function

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good question. I don't know if there's anything between the relay and the starter, but I guess there wouldn't be. My thought is that the neutral light not lighting up means that some safety business on the bike won't let it start, though I would think it should crank in any gear with the clutch disengaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:22 PM

Garage
Since you have been messing with the bars, I would check the clutch lever switch. Is it plugged in all the way. It's a two wire connection. You can bypass taking a paper clip and jumping the two. Just be careful as starter will turn when it's in gear. Connected is just to the right of numbers 8 in picture. Good luck and keep us posted.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Les. I did jump that switch. Forgot to mention that in my first post. I also jumped the kickstand switch.

Does anyone know what the cast metal box with the cooling fins is that is mounted to the frame and sits at the front of the frame near the starter?

The manual that I downloaded from yon interwebs mentions "Relay unit (starting circuit cut-off relay)" and a "Relay unit (diode)", but I'm not sure where those guys are located.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:50 PM

Garage
I ride an 1100 and had simular situation. Turned out to be starter relay. I'm not that savey on the 650. Here is how to test starter relay on 1100. If it's different on 650 hopefully someone will chime in.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:52 PM

Garage
If you don't have one here is free link to 650 manual.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...u1c6ZiIW6p1YpQ

Les B.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:58 PM

Garage
Found the starter relay test for 650.

Les B.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, Les! It's that #5 Relay unit (diode) and #4 Relay unit (starting circuit cut-off relay) that I don't know the location of. I guess they're downstream from the starter (#3) and upstream from the starter relay (#6). I suppose I'll have to start at one end and follow wires to the other end.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 07:46 PM
KCW

Garage
jumping out the neutral and kickstand switch is not 'testing' it.

You don't know if the switches are closed when the neutral or kickstand are in or out. If you jumped it and that is the lockout state, the bike wont start. Get a $10 volt ohm meter from Walmart or Harbor freight and verify the switch changes state when its actuated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode