Petcock screen/filter - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By bevo1981

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Petcock screen/filter

02 V Star 1100, replaced the nice chrome petcock with a galvanized looking one due to wanting to ride and that was cheaper and easier to find than the OEM style rebuild kit. Fast forward a year and the barbed fitting is loose, so looking at rebuilding the OEM style one to get back a little bit of styling.

Problem comes in with the screen/filter. Does anyone know of a replacement part number or have a good DIY trick to replace them?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 08:51 PM

Garage
I had the same issues a few years ago and could not find replacement screens, only gaskets. I bought this one about 3 years ago, no issues or concerns. It's not as nice as OEM but works and price was right.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I did the same thing Les, probably the same one actually haha. The barbed pc where you attach the hose seems like it is a press fit, with a bit of slack in it. Figured if I was going to take it off to repair/replace, I could look in to putting the OEM back together was all.
Thank you for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:09 AM
KCW

Garage
If you have an inline fuel filter before the carbs or fuel pump, I would not worry about whats on the petcock

In fact it might be better to let anything in the tank get through the petcock so it gets trapped in the inline filter, which is normally replaced every 10,000 miles or so.
lesblank and lesblank like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thats a good point KCW. I have looked at a few articles on different bikes and it seemed like most of their issues with the screen was that their tanks were in poor shape and full of rust, which would then clog up the screen.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

why is it called a petcock?
lesblank and lesblank like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 08:11 PM

Garage
Google says:

The answer lies in the old country.
The "pet" is an abreviation of petrol (the correct name for the stuff you call gasolene, and the"cock" has nothing to do with male genitalia but is another abreviation. This time for "stopcock", which is the term still use in the old country for a shut off valve in the form of a tap..

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:01 AM
KCW

Garage
pet could also be short for petty (small). Petcocks are normally used to bleed out water or air, or to take a sample of something, like drawing out a few ounces of oil from a 1000 HP engine to run an oil quality test. Its not the same as the drain plug, which would be much bigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode