relocacating crankcase breather 2003 xvs650 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

relocacating crankcase breather 2003 xvs650

I recently bought an 2003 xvs650, and on a 400 mile trip from Houston to Austin I noticed I had lost quite a bit of oil. My bike was full to the top of the window before the trip, and when i got home I barely saw any oil in the window.

Oil overflowing from the crankcase into the airbox seems to be a
common issue on these bikes, after doing some research i learned that you should keep the oil below the half waymark to try and remedy the situation.

Eitherway, I rerouted the crankcase breather to spill out by the swingarm. I didn't want to deal with another oily airbox, carbs, and filter (even though my filter stayed dry)

not very earth friendly i know, also removed the AIS system and pluged the ports with 45ACP casings... I just had a second thought though. Does the engine need that oily vapor recycled back? Or is it mainly for evironmental concerns?

Another thought. Im currently running 15w-20, i thought maybe a 10w-30 would help keep that oil i the engine where it belongs.
KCW and KCW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:11 PM
KCW

Garage
I think the 15w-20 might be your problem

Owners manual for the 650 says 10W30 for riding down to 10F, and 20W40 for riding the bike above 40F.

I use the 20W40 and use the 40F lower temp limit as my sanity check for not riding in the winter.

The lower number is the viscosity reference for when the engine is cold, the higher number for when the engine is hot.

I have 36k miles on my bike, and never have to put oil in between 4000 mile changes. The oil never comes off the high mark in the window for the entire 4000 miles.
15W20 is like water compared to 20W40. You might be burning the oil off blowing past the rings or the valve seals, or it may be foaming up like bubble soap and getting sucked out of the oil breather hose into the carbs.

Pretty much anywhere in the US you should be good with 20W40 from now till the end of fall. I would change it over, just the oil, the filter is good for 8000 miles, and put the breather hose back on the air box.

Having it off the airbox will let it suck outside air, rain, moisture, dust.... into the crankcase. It doesn't just blow oil fumes out, it pumps air out and back in as the pistons move up and down in the cylinders. That's why its connected to the airbox, its behind the air filter.

Its funny, you subconsciously answered your own question with your "another thought". That happens a lot, its like something is simmering on the back burner till it boils over... Ive learned over the years to always listen to that little voice in the back of your head.

BTW, how many miles are on the odo? Until you get well over 60k miles I would not expect the bike to be burning (using) oil at all, well... unless you are riding the bike over 90mph...

Last edited by KCW; 04-25-2018 at 06:39 PM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyle. View Post
... Im currently running 15w-20, i thought maybe a 10w-30 would help keep that oil i the engine where it belongs.
15W-20... is that a mistype? I use 5w-40 synth year round in my 650 filled to the upper limit, not beyond, and don't have issues with oil blowing out of the breathers... no noticeable loss of oil on my >31K motor.

BTW, if you route the breather to 'outside air' I would attach a breather filter for the reason KCW mentioned.
KCW and KCW like this.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 04-25-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:57 PM
KCW

Garage
thanks Dio, I was just thinking about the breather filters. You can pull the hose off the air box, or use an air intake that does not have the breather connection, and get a little filter for the breather. You still have to protect it from ingesting water, unless you never ride in the rain.

Whatever you do, do not block off the oil breather hose - you will blow the seals out of your engine.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:06 PM

Garage
As many have said, the 15-20 is too thin of an oil for our bikes. Just do a quick oil change to appropriate oil and you should be good to go. I would venture a guess that over 95 percent on the people here use a 15-40 or 20-50 either Dino or synthetic oil.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Okay. Yeah, I confused it with the 5w20 I use for my F150.

I am currently running 15W40 Shell Rotella T4. So, i guess ive got the heavier weight oil in it already...

I did pick up a breather filter, so I can install that to the line i extended to my swingarm.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I lost quite a bit on that 400 mile trip, all out of the breather too... no other leaks. I guess i should check compression cause it sounds like i may have some bad rings. No noticeable smoke out of exhaust.

Ill probably run it and carry a pint of oil around in the toolbox, until i get around to doing the topend if thats the case.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:26 PM

Garage
Just out of curiosity, how hard were you pushing your bike and for how long. Higher RPM for an extended time would cause the oil to foam up more than normal and the mist be sucked up through breather hose. There is nothing wrong with adding filter but I would use caution putting it back by the swing arm. The filter will get water sprayed by rear tire and the water can be sucked in. Also, even a small amount of oil dripping out will land on rear tire that could cause a very bad situation. Follow the link below, past middle of read is: Make your own crank case vent collection bottle. Just an other idea for you that had been tried and tested.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...-modifications

Good luck and keep us informed.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input guys. Good points i hadnt thought of. I may end up sticking a filter on it and moving it to the inside of the toolbox. Should stay dry in there, and it will be in an easily accessable area i can monitor.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Just out of curiosity, how hard were you pushing your bike and for how long.
I was going about 65mph for about 3+ hours...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode