My spring 950T upgrades review - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Dcfluid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My spring 950T upgrades review

So up here in the great white north and 3 days of riding (snow still on my front lawn) I have a good impression of the items I put on waiting for riding season.
1) Michelin Commander 2 front tire to match the rear I put on late last summer. A+, it just works so nice you forget that tires matter. It just works. I will state that there was a huge difference in handling with the new rear, more noticeable than the front change.
2) Ivan's tune, set up for my K&N with modified airbox, cobra 2 into 1, and cobra Fi2000R O2 (now set to 0,0,1 and 02 disconnected). Does what it says, flawless operation. Now revs out higher and stronger, acceleration through the gears faster, top speed likely 5 kph higher (with a 4" higher than stock windshield). It definitely reaches 150 kph faster than using just the Cobra fuel processor to tune for the bolt on parts. For the reduction of vibration claim I can't quantify a true measurement as last fall was the last time I rode it, and the difference is there but small enough with such a long time between rides any statement would be hard to back up. It's still a v-twin and 120 kph and above will buzz your feet and hands if ridden any distance. 110 kph for 10 hours no problem.
3) Mustang seat, + drivers backrest and passenger seat : This adds to the 10 hour ride possibility. Far better than stock. Sitting higher and forward than stock, I get a little better leg position that seems easier on my hip joints. Previously my knees were higher than my hips, now more square, more standard riding position. Backrest is a game changer for me, mid fifties and previous broken back and neck.
4) Helmet HJC IS-17: This is a huge improvement over my Bell Revolver Evo modular. The visors are better in every way, optically, sealing to helmet, sun visor clarity. Sound is WAY quieter. Aerodynamics - I have struggled with head buffering and tried so many variations of windshield, lowers, etc and never got completely cured.
New helmet was the cure, 100 percent. It slides through the air facing forward, looking sideways with no drag, buffeting, extra wind noise. Total contrast to the big wide Bell modular. Aerodynamics far superior. Ventilation perhaps a touch better too. It is lighter and the fit and comfort of the interior is exponentially better.
I've pretty much done everything I will to this bike, it's a keeper for a few years at least. I will post a picture later showing the spring upgrades.
Cheers,
lesblank and lesblank like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 06:04 PM

Garage
Sounds like you are set for a great riding season. I'm on my second set of commander 2 and love them. HJC is a great helmet. I have a IS33 and a CL16. Speed and strength is another brand I like. Currently have a 700 and 1300. I commute daily and my helmets get pretty funky so I rotate while the liners are drying after cleaning. Ride often and safe.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I've done about 500 miles of riding with my upgrades so far. My impressions:
1) Helmet-still great.
2) Mustang seat, passed the 3 hour highway ride with flying colours, and the backrest is an aid for the back pain of later life.
3) Ivan's Flash: lots of positives for the drivability and smooth revvy power. Unfortunately I have to deduct some enthusiasm for the following issues that if I had known I may have passed on the considerable costs plus shipping.
I have had the O2 trouble code 24 / engine light come on while on the highway 4 lane, had to pull over, google search and clear the code. A bit alarming at the time and I hope this happens infrequently.
Fuel economy: on my test route I do every year or after any tune up / upgrade, I apparently lost 11 Imp. Mpg from 70 to 59. (that's 49 US mpg). This was at a careful 62 - 65 mph highway cruise, steady throttle, no passing. I now have a black exhaust pipe exit versus medium brown from when I just had the Cobra 02 processor on it.
For the extra power and drivability it gave over my previous setup (Cobra Fi2000R O2, Cobra 2-1 slip on, K&N filter, mod airbox) I feel I should have saved my money. It is the best setup, but if I did it all again I would skip the Cobra Fi2000R O2 and go straight to Ivan's flash.
Though if any one is budget conscious the previous set up is great upgrade too and not far behind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

one of my biggest questions about Ivan's tune is if it is worth it to get for a bike that already has an FMS, like yours, plus pipes and air.
how long did you ride with the Cobra tuner and other mods before adding Ivan's tune? and you're saying you definitely notice the increase in acceleration and power with just the addition of Ivan's tune, but it's small enough that it wasn't worth the money for the upgrade over your previous setup?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I rode 7 months in 2017 with the Cobra Fi2000R O2 as my tuner.
The only change performance wise this year is the Ivans' Flash, to replace the Cobra.
Shipping to Ivan's was $30 cdn. Then the flash was $470 cdn, shipping back $80 cdn.
So for that much money it better be your only tuning you buy, but I was into the Cobra already for less than $300.
It definetly pulls harder longer into higher revs, making acceleration stronger through the gears. Probably only a few horsepower gain, but a wider powerband now. It runs perfect and is smooth and responsive in all areas.
But it was pretty good before, so I would sum up the Ivans' vs. Fi2000r O2 as more high rpm pull, more refined engine behaviour, but use more fuel if driven for maximum economy.
I did try driving very hard on the return trip and found I had less noticeable drop, maybe less than half (4-5 mpg) than the Cobra tune.
In hindsight I wouldn't have done it, save the money.
What I did like about the Cobra was I could adjust it myself to make it an economy bike or max power setup. Also the ability to strip all items off and return to stock in an hour if I was selling or run into the air quality police. No paying for shipment to Ivan's.
If anyone has any questions about anything I have experienced with this just post and I'll do my best.
Cheers,

Last edited by Dcfluid; 05-07-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode