Need a little jetting help. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Need a little jetting help.

2001, 1100.
I have the carbs off to clean them. The jetting is stock, including the PMS screw still has the cap.

I'm wondering if the previous owner should have jetted when putting on the exhaust. I'm not sure what brand exhaust it is, but in addition to the change, the baffles have been removed.

The air box is stock.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Need a little jetting
That's what she said!

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnz View Post
... I'm wondering if the previous owner should have jetted when putting on the exhaust...
I would do a plug chop at idle, 1/4 throttle and 1/2 throttle... you can probably feel if the bike is running lean above 1/2 throttle.

Incidentally the term "plug chop" has gotten to be a literal meaning in some circles but really all you want to do is run the motor under load at a particular throttle position and then pull in the clutch, immediately turn the ignition off and read the plug condition.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 05-04-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:49 AM
KCW

Garage
If you have an aftermarket exhaust you need the proper jets to match.

Stock bikes from the factory are setup to get the best possible mileage and lowest emissions. If you change the intake air cleaner, the exhaust, the cams, pistons... then you have changed the jet size required for the proper fuel ratio

An engine will tolerate running a bit rich, but running lean raises the temperature in the cylinders and the heads.

EDIT ADDED: if you essentially have straight pipes with no baffles, you should be able to find a table with the right jet size to use, even though you dont know who made the exhaust.

Last edited by KCW; 05-04-2018 at 11:51 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:38 PM

Garage
Looks like stock head pipe with slip on mufflers. No rejetting should be necessary. Might need to turn PMS screws out about 1/4 turn if you are getting any popping when closing throttle at speed, doesn't take much. Follow link for jetting recommendations.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...g/carb-jetting

Here's a snap shot of jetting recommended in link.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 05-04-2018 at 07:42 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

What is the other jet supposed to be stock?
Mine is 42.5 .

And are the little spacers significant?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Looks like stock head pipe with slip on mufflers. No rejetting should be necessary.
Les, he said the mufflers have no baffles, he is running straight pipes with no resistance

Quote:
I'm not sure what brand exhaust it is, but in addition to the change, the baffles have been removed.
I don't know how to read that table.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:34 PM

Garage
There is not a 42.5, did you possibly read 112.5 for 42.5? It's small print and sometimes not real clear. Other that the main jets all others are not needed to be changed. Yes, the spacers are important. Read the link for for detail. Here is screen shot.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:58 PM

Garage
I have always followed
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...g/carb-jetting
Which was suggested to me years ago. I've had stock exhaust, drilled, open and currently Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust. Other the turning PMS screws out to eliminate popping I did not change jets. Had great throttle response with out any driveabilty issues. The only time I have to up the jets was when I put KN filter in. When you put more air in it will take more fuel to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio, which should be close to 14.7 to 1. The chart is set up the left column is which intake you have, next column is exhaust, follow down till you find your setup, then over to right to find correct jetting and PMS settings. It basically says with stock intake with any exhaust the only change needed it PMS adjustment. My personal experience is exactly that. I had to read the article I linked several time till I understood it. Guess I'm getting old and comprehension is not what it used to be. I have worked on Holley, Carter and Quadujet carbs for many years. The Mikuni carbs are very simple and we try our best to make them complicated. Trust the link. If the recommendations don't work 99 percent of time there is another issue, vacuum leak, clogged jet, etc.
KCW and KCW like this.

Les B.

Last edited by lesblank; 05-04-2018 at 09:02 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

I realize the PMS cap needs drilled for the adjustment.
But those are the makings on the jets indicated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode