New bike service and comments - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
SD1

New bike service and comments

Hey all, so I picked up this super clean Vstar yesterday. I think I was a little "starry eyed" when I was buying it. I knew it needed a front tire but I didn't see the back was deteriorated as well. Here is what I have done to the bike so far. I replaced both the front and back tire with Dunlop 404's. Made a HUGE difference in the handling in ride. I replaced engine oil, oil filter, and final drive oil. I replaced both of the spark plugs.

When the tires were getting installed, they commented that the front brake pads were "saturated" with fluid and they think it might be fork oil, though no signs that the seals are leaking, may have been a past issue that was fixed but left the brake pads in their deteriorated condition. I had thought the brake fluid or a brake bleed would help, but I wound up pulling the caliper off and cleaning the whole assembly. Still does not work that well. So last on my list is to throw on some new pads. That and I have an air filter on the way.

Anything else you would do? The bike is otherwise very tight and smooth, runs and rides VERY well. I can see why they are so popular. I have had older ones but this 08' is a LOT better than the older models I have had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 04:24 PM
KCW

Garage
sounds like you got it well covered.

if the air filter is grey like an old teeshirt then replace it. You will be surprised how much power you get back.

How many miles are on the bike? If it might have been sitting awhile, put 4 ounces of Seafoam in a full tank of gas, it will clean out any gunk in the carbs.

depending on what the odo reads, you might want to change the fuel filter (under the gas tank).

when you replaced the rear tire, if you did it yourself, did you look at the spline on the drive shaft? The 60% moly grease tends to look black and nasty, but that's how it suppose to look. If you happened to wipe it off and put some other kind of grease on instead, you need to get some 60% moly and re-grease it. If you are not sure what kind of grease is on the drive shaft (if someone else changed the tire for you) ask them, or check it.

Since you will have to pull the wheel off you should check the rest of the splines in the final drive while you are at it. If the bike has less than... maybe 20k miles the final drive splines should still be ok.

650 CC & D

EDIT: just realized you did not say which Vstar you got. Not all are shaft drive, some have belt drive.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
SD1

Bike has 10400 miles. I did not do the rear tire, although it looks pretty easy, I had no way of breaking the bead or installing the new tire. The final drive oil was pretty dark, that surprised me a bit. Engine oil was clean and full and the oil filter looked great. I haven't pulled the air filter, waiting till the new one arrives.

I am looking for some brake pads, but otherwise, looking forward to another ride tonight. : )
KCW and KCW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 04:37 PM
KCW

Garage
changing the tires is a lot of physical work if you don't have the machine. It can be done with big C clamps and tire irons and a bottle of windex.

If you have final drive oil then you have a shaft drive - 650?
the final oil is usually dark and smelly right out of the bottle, 80W oil is heavy stuff to begin with.

If you took the bike to a Yamaha dealer or other well trained bike shop, they should have known what to put on the drive shaft spline. If you took it to 3 finger Joes Garage, you might want to stop in and ask him "oh... btw....what kind of moly 60 do you use. If he shows you a tube of bearing grease, then you need to get the moly.

With only 10k miles on the bike, the rest of the final drive splines will be fine. Its just the one that is exposed when you pull the wheel off, that you need to worry about someone wiping off the good stuff and putting bearing grease on it.

for now you are good, if you feel the front brakes are solid then ride ride ride.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
SD1

Dude, you are supposed to jinx me..... I had it done at the "fancy" place, but, that is not always the place you find the best techs, although in this case I feel pretty confident, but I will ask to be safe. They carry EVERYTHING and a tire change on a 10yr bike prolly not high priority. If you say its important, I am on it though. : )

And I did not know you could get a belt on an older one? I like belts.
KCW and KCW like this.

Last edited by SD1; 05-04-2018 at 04:47 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 05:08 PM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Some VStars are belt drive, like the 950, 1300 (?) and Road Star .The 650 and 1100 are both shaft drive. You never did say which one you have.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 05:31 PM

I have a 2007 1100 with 27,000 miles. I installed new tires last week and my driveshaft looks great. Applied fresh grease and checked all my specs. I did notice the driveshaft seal located at the hud is stretched out. The spring around the seal is also needing replaced.

It appears that 27000 miles is the time for that and fork oil to be changed. No leaks yet, but id rather replace it before repairing it. I installed new brake pads front and rear also. Still using my factory rotors! Both front and the single rear. I always install pads before they get to low and apparantly it has been good for my rotors.
KCW and KCW like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
SD1

Its a shaft
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180503_184117_1525474134660.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	80194   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180503_184006_1525474157781.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	80202  
blueblitz09 and blueblitz09 like this.

Last edited by SD1; 05-04-2018 at 05:49 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:19 PM

Wish I had your spoke wheels on my 1100.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
SD1

Yep, laces are gangsta! They are pretty dirty, I will probably touch those up in the morning, having fun getting it cleaned up and dialed in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode