Exhaust/jetting - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust/jetting

Trying to see if the prior owner of my 05 Yamaha vstar 1100 classic jetted the carbs. The aftermarket exhaust on it have no manufacturer markings. Any suggestions or can anyone identify these pipes? Bike runs rough. Popping on decel, and a small hesitation when at a constant speed. Pulled carbs and cleaned, new plugs, fluid change, fuel filter, and cleaned tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180424_174523665_HDR_1525698341170.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	80354  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 03:12 PM
KCW

Garage
is this the same bike you mentioned in another thread, that sat for several years?

Did you write down the jet sizes when you cleaned the carbs? there have been a couple threads in the last few days with links to find the jet sizes for different intakes and exhausts. You may not need bigger jets if the only thing changed was the exhaust, but you might need to adjust the PMScrews.

Did you pull off the air filter and make sure nothing was building a nest or hive in the air intake?
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

No sir I just signed up on the forum today. I have been thru it with a fine toothed comb. No other restrictions. All that was done to it was the aftermarket pipes. Jets are stock. I did drill the pms plugs yesterday and adjusted out to 3 turns from seated. Ran out of time so I haven't reinstalled the carbs yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:27 PM

Garage
main jets don't even come into play unless your near 3/4 throttle or more, set the pilot screws back to oem and start going up by 1/4 turns on each until it runs right just going up to half throttle, if torque starts falling off after 3/4 throttle start thinking about increasing the mains.
KCW and KCW like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I'll give it a shot.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:35 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcreech View Post
No sir I just signed up on the forum today. ...
I meant this post in another thread by you:
Quote:
I recently inherited a 05 Yamaha vstar classic when my dad passed in December. Bike sat for 5-6 years trying to get it purring again.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Yes sir that is me. It required I posted in the new member forum first to gain access to this one.
KCW and KCW like this.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 07:32 AM
KCW

Garage
have you tested the fuel pump? If the flow is restricted or the fuel pump is weak, the bike will not get enough fuel to run correctly.

with everything you have gone thru cant think of anything left to check ,except maybe the compression. The valves may need to be adjusted.

Or maybe the bike just needs to be run hard for a couple hundred miles with seafoam in the fuel to blow out the cobwebs....

this is one of the issues with a bike that has been sitting for a while - it may have been running rough when it was parked.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

I haven't tested the pump. I will say itll go down the road. I did put seafoam in the tank also still get popping at idle and on decel. Seems to be the front cylinder doing it. I'm gonna replace all the vacuum lines and adjust the pms screws like suggested then go from there. Just gotta find the time. Thanks for the help so far.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Alright. Reinstalled carbs with pms screws adjusted to 3 turns out. Started her up and sounded great at idle. Went down the road at around 70 and let off the accelerator. Popping still there. Should I adjust the pms screws out more? Any other suggestions? Ais maybe?

Thanks for all the help so far. It is Definitely running better with all the adjustments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode